24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

truck running weak please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck running weak please help!

Truck becomming weak. I have been tracing this problume for months now and still cant seem to figure out whats wrong. I have a 1999 dodge cummins with an edge hot comp, fass 150, ats arc flow, 150 injectors, and a ats trany. The problume seems to accure the worst right about 24 pounds of boost where it seems like it just shuts me down. pulling a trailer this becomes very frustrating. I used to push 35 pounds no problume. i have replaced the boost sensor, and put a fooler on. that did nothing! then the Iat sensor. Which seemed to make it run smoother but problume still exists. slowley been getting more apparent. I am unable to get the exahust temp above 800 going all out. Very little smoke is produced only at fist with wot. Fuel pressure running around 18 idle 16 wide open. The only code that has shown up is low votage at the boost sensor and that was before replacemnt. Have replaced filiters twice in the last two months. I have searched and searched and now out of ideas any help would be greatly appriciated. thanks trevor

Old 02-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

have you tried to unhook the comp from the truck and see what happens. some times they short out and can cause this problem.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:02 PM

I forgot to put that in there. I have been running without my edge for a little over a week now. Seems to run ok its hard but still has the high end trouble. I sent my edge in to get looked at and the hot tune added. they ended up sending me a whole new box and the problume neither improved or worsened. It doesnt feel as if the edge is adding the power that it used to. Even with that turned all the way up im lucky to see a small puff of smoke from takeoff. I just finished putting a new crank sensor in but have not got more then a mile run in so not sure if that has helped or not.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

also check or unplud the cam sensor and see what happens. and yes the 99 has on and it will run with out it hooked up. also you really need to check for codes again and its possible that if you didnt clear it at the install of the new sensor it may still be affecting the performance of the truck if the code is still set. and if you have new code that will really help in the diagnoses of the problem.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:40 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

Sounds like you are loosing boost fooling with the Comp on. With factory programming in the ECM, it will pull out of fuel at 24 PSI. It is safety/derate software in your ECM. I suggest the Comp goes to Edge to be checke dout. You could by a boost fooler to confirm that time is the issue.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:20 PM

I put a boost fooler on and there was no change at all. Both my old edge and the one i just got back from them are acting the same.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I also did a little test tonight and from crusing to wot my exhaust temp change 100 d

Last edited by trevor_110; 02-16-2011 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

tighten every clamp on yer air charge system

the pyro temps are before or after turbo? that is pre temps I bet

Old 02-16-2011, 10:16 PM

Temp is post turbo and never thought to look at the clamps. Should always check the simple stupid first. Thanks ill give it a look over

Old 02-16-2011, 10:49 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what kind of boost fooler is it. try taking the boost fooler out and unhooking the comp so its back the factory. do u have the little brass boost elbow installed into the turbo?

Old 02-17-2011, 08:22 AM

I barrowed the fooler from a friend so im not sure off hand what kind it is and yes i do have the little brass elbo.

Quick Reply: truck running weak please help!