24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Is it my VP??

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 06:10 PM
"Ohio Bombers" Director
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Sad Is it my VP??

So here is the problem...

As some of you know I stretched my head bolts and popped my gasket. I had her o-ringed and studded. She is all back together now.... After being down for about 4 months or so. So now that i got her back together she wasnt running so hot. I didnt know at first because i drove it EASY before i retorqued the head studs.
Right after it was running poorly and had no power. I re tapped my pump and now it pulls hard again but STILL misses on the freeway when im getting on it.... It studders and stumbles. The fuel clears up WAY to quickly for having 130hp injectors and stage 10 on the ADR. Right after the fuel clears is when it starts to stumble. Its getting good pressure from the lift pump (15psi).
I DID fill the tank after i fixed it because it had about 1/2 tank of OLD diesel in it. I also just added Diesel 911 and Diesel Restore + Cetane boost hoping it was just poop fuel. It still stumbles though.
It does NOT stumble off the line, it pulls off the line HARD!!!! Just on freeway with over 1/4 throttle it sucks.
I can get video if you all wanna see....

Could it be my VP dying. I have 176k on the truck, I have had a tuner on it and the guy before me did too. I have NO codes that i know of though. I had one go through but it was right after a crappy start because my battery cables sucked.

Dont know what to do. Is there anything i can do to check it... Any other suggestions?

Old 01-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be water in the fuel if it set that long the tank could have drawn moisture. Were are you getting your fuel pressure reading? Before the filter, after the filter, or from the side of the injection pump.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:07 PM
"Ohio Bombers" Director

I am reading @ the VP on the elbow that feeds directly into the VP. Its been fluttery/bouncy latley. Normally it bottoms my gauge out at 15psi. Now its like bouncy around 13

Old 01-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Is it my VP??

My 01 does the same thing freeway driving. It's most likely just this crappy winter fuel. I use diesel kleen in every tank but it doesn't matter. Stumbles and stutters over 2k rpm highway driving...

Old 01-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

yep mine does it as soon as the stations go to winter blend fuel

Old 01-26-2011, 08:13 PM
Diesel Fan

I would maybe try changing the filters and see what that does. I see you have an airdog and that thing should be pumping out close to 20 psi or more.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:07 PM
"Ohio Bombers" Director

Yeah... Its got a heafty dent in. Dunno what from? Any idea where to get the filter from?

I never had a problem last winter... Maybe its just the station? There is a station near my work that still sells LSD. I have half a bottle of "Diesel Fuel Supplement + Cetane Boost" That is what Power Service recommends for Winter. Diesel Kleen says its recommended for summer months. KingBrad maybe you should try the other stuff? Its in the white bottle.

Hope you guys are right though! I DONT wanna buy a new injection pump!

Old 01-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Diesel Fan

Anyone that sells airdog should be able to get them. I tried to cross them through cummins with a fleetguard number. They could get them but they were back ordered and 3 months behind. A friend ordered a case of each and I picked up a set for someone and I think they were 40-45 for a set. I hope it is not your injection pump either.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Also with this newer ULSD fuel it would also be a good idea to run something else for lubrication in the fuel. I run 1 quart of 2 stroke oil in every tank. Some people are running transmission fluid also. I have a friend that runs used motor oil or used transmission fluid in the fuel on his 12 valve. He has seen a significant gain in fuel mileage since then. I think he is running 1/2 gallon to every tank full. He runs the oil through a 2 micron filter before putting it in his fuel tank. He also changes his fuel filter every 10k. I dont know if this helps or not but it coulod be cheap insurance.

Last edited by heavy hauler; 01-26-2011 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-26-2011, 09:23 PM
"Ohio Bombers" Director

I debated waste motor oil...

I like you am a 2stroke oil (TcW3) user!

I found the FleetGuard x-ref. Its FF5613

They are 10$ or so on multiple sites! I am going to order one. Its not as cool looking as the AirDog one and the writing is upside down BUT its like 18$ cheaper!

Old 01-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Is it my VP??

Yeah maybe I'll try a different additive for winter... I switched my filter about a week and a half ago and it didn't change anything