24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Chugging/surging on freeway with hard throttle after head gasket install...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 09:55 PM
"Ohio Bombers" Director
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Chugging/surging on freeway with hard throttle after head gasket install...?

Sooooo... I stretched my head bolts running some hardcore tunes on my ADR... Now after having the head o-rung and studded I installed 130hp injectors from Diesel Auto Power. I also put on a ATS 3 piece manifold because it was a price i couldnt pass up...

I drove it REAL nice until today when i did my final torque on the head studs to make sure they were all tight...
Under hard acceleration or even 50%ish the truck chuggs and climbs RPM slowly. Before the head fail it used to break the speedo off it could pull so hard...
I got off the freeway and got stuck in traffic. After a little bit i was free to go, smashing the gas from a stop gave some WICKED acceleration!
I have good pressure to the VP44

Could it be water in the fuel? (i have an Airdog so no more Water In Fuel Light)
Could it be toooo damn cold out? (was like 15* outside)
Could i have forgotten something (no check engine light)

Any suggestions would be great! I am going to get some fuel de-icer and de-waterer JUST to be safe!

Thanks guys/gals

Old 01-22-2011, 11:29 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

just a thought but if one of the rings moved it wil be leaking compression. and i will cause that. i know ive done it before. injectors might not be set right, and did you check or re-set the valve clearances.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:34 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

mine will do this if the engine is a little to cold, i don't normaly do that but found out one day in an emergency . once it warms up to operating temp it was good to go. thats one thing to keep in mind, also i would recheck all the electrical connections very carefully, clean the map and iat sensors if you already havn't, and possibly try loading the tune onto the adrenaline again, if you unhook the adrenaline completly not just turn it off, does it still do this?

Old 01-23-2011, 08:05 AM
"Ohio Bombers" Director

BanditsDiesel
ACK please dont say an o-ring moved .... They said they press them in very tight, i had asked them about this when i picked head up

TurboStang7
I thought about the ADR. I originally forgot the power wire on it and it would kill itself when truck was turned off rather then stay on. Also its high idle is like 1k rpm. I SWEAR it used to be 1200. I do NOT remember what tunes i was running before. I THINK they were 3000 series. I am going to go back to 1000 series today to see if that fixes it. As for MAP - its NEW since the head shop didnt remove it when they washed the head!! DOH!
I did do the valve lash check BUT could re-do again if i still have problems!

I will update everyone after I set tunes back to 1K and update the ADR and Pulse!

Old 02-01-2011, 05:46 PM
"Ohio Bombers" Director

Yeah... Soooo I totally think my ADR is the cause. Its been acting wierd. It ALWAYS goes to high idle even when its warmed up. When i turned it OFF (0) it stopped the surging while driving... It still does the little surging at accelerating but that could be the fuel as prior mentioned. The IP also sounds TERRIBLE even on stage 1 (milage tune). Sounds like its going to rattle off the truck. However after running on (0) the IP is quieter then its EVER been!!

WTF??

Old 02-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

remove the adrenaline completely and see what happens

Old 02-01-2011, 06:41 PM
"Ohio Bombers" Director

I am going to try that. I did have a thought... I see others with mods are having issues too... Could it be caused by my injectors and being at partial throttle when tq conv. locks up?
I could change the TPS min then? I postedin the other thread about the ADR tunes that you were posting in too Luke

To take the ADR out i have to plug stock MAP back in and take the ADR out of the loop ALONG with unplugging harness from it right?

Old 02-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Diesel Wrench

yep! make sure you plug the map back in though i made that mistake

Old 02-01-2011, 07:06 PM
"Ohio Bombers" Director

HAHA... When mine died it showed like NO boost... OR 10psi below actual. Depending on what it felt like doing. I got KILLER fuel mileage though! HAAHHA

Old 02-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Diesel Wrench

mine wouldn't go above 1800rpms and would go about 35mph haha, fuel milage actually plumeted, bad!

Quick Reply: Chugging/surging on freeway with hard throttle after head gasket install...?