24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

01 cummins gauge cluster

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 cummins gauge cluster

hey, i just bought an 01 cummins and after about a week realized it has got a gauge cluster out of a gas truck. the tach goes to 4500rpms, no diesel fuel only anywhere. will the mileage be the same on this new dash as what the truck had before or is my mileage all screwed up now? thanks for any help

Old 01-22-2011, 09:49 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Im takin a wild guess but im pretty sure since its not the same dash i dont think the mileage will be the same. Someone will explain more in depth before long bud. On a lighter note welcome to the site. Youl really like this site if and when something breaks or you want info on different upgrades for your truck.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Well, you also wont have the wait to start light or water in fuel light. your tach may or may not read correctly plus you may have a code in your ecm. Theres a guy on cummins forum running one from a v10 truck and its got warning lights on that arent supposed to and the mileage is way off.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:07 AM
Diesel Fan

could i wire in a remote wait to start light. i think the tach is good it

Old 01-23-2011, 09:15 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

the miles will be different from cluster to cluster, i put one in mine from a 98 and it has way different miles than i originaly have, hoped to put the original one back in but got it back in pieces , so i gues i will run with the other one. but if it didn't come with the original cluster there is no way to tell the actual miles of the vehicle. did you get it from a dealer? did they advertise it as actual miles?

Old 01-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Diesel Fan

i bought it from an individual seller but the title says 150,000 miles and i bought it with 152,000

Old 01-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

as far as wait to start. 3 seconds above 40, 10 seconds below if its not plugged in. if its plugged in 3 seconds at any temp. but it is a cummins you dont have to wait to start it. its not like your gonna burn up glow plugs or anything. mine doesnt have the heaters and it fires right up everytime plugged in or not. event at 6 degrees. if you dont wait on extremely cold days it might take 1-3 seconds longer to fire but your not hurting anything by not waiting. just give it a few to warm up before you take of in it or its gonna run rough.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:45 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by banditsdiesel
as far as wait to start. 3 seconds above 40, 10 seconds below if its not plugged in. if its plugged in 3 seconds at any temp. but it is a cummins you dont have to wait to start it. its not like your gonna burn up glow plugs or anything. mine doesnt have the heaters and it fires right up everytime plugged in or not. event at 6 degrees. if you dont wait on extremely cold days it might take 1-3 seconds longer to fire but your not hurting anything by not waiting. just give it a few to warm up before you take of in it or its gonna run rough.
I dont reccomend this approach by any means. Granted it may work for you, being that your in georgia, it probably doesnt stay a real cold temps for extended amounts of time. Up here in the northern states, especially if you talk about states like Maine or Northern Idaho or Montana where it can get -20 degrees, you have to wait for that start light. And while you wont bur nup glow plugs cause the cummins doesnt have any, you can cause damage to your grid heater relays and even the heater element itself. You can also burn up your fuel heater which i think is the more important of the heaters on a cummins Ive actually seen it get cold enough to stall the motor, mainly because of gelled fuel because the fuel heater went bad. Cummins designed it to run those heaters for a reason. Sure, some may get away with it but I know my trucks wont start below or at 0 degrees F without the grid heaters

Old 01-24-2011, 10:48 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by banditsdiesel
it also depends on turbo and injector size. cold weather with ddp comps and compounds mine didn't like to start without grid heaters. I didn't have it in.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dukeboy_318
I dont reccomend this approach by any means. Granted it may work for you, being that your in georgia, it probably doesnt stay a real cold temps for extended amounts of time. Up here in the northern states, especially if you talk about states like Maine or Northern Idaho or Montana where it can get -20 degrees, you have to wait for that start light. And while you wont bur nup glow plugs cause the cummins doesnt have any, you can cause damage to your grid heater relays and even the heater element itself. You can also burn up your fuel heater which i think is the more important of the heaters on a cummins Ive actually seen it get cold enough to stall the motor, mainly because of gelled fuel because the fuel heater went bad. Cummins designed it to run those heaters for a reason. Sure, some may get away with it but I know my trucks wont start below or at 0 degrees F without the grid heaters
2 years ago i spent 6 months in michigan and northern ill. it was from oct-march, no grids and didnt get plugged in some nights and it would fire right up every morning if we shut it down that night. run good fuel and additives and you wont have problems. and as far as the hp set up making a diff. more fuel is harder to start and mine doesnt lack fuel. at the time hrvp and II super dragon flows on 62 over 75 twins. and as far as now everything is a lot bigger. and even so in GA or not it has been unusually cold this winter 2 weeks ago we had and really cold snap the highs were (and i already know this is nothing for montana) 18 or less and lows right around 0 wind chills less than that. i didnt plug my truck up but once and i never had a problem starting. its all about compression and fuel quality.

Quick Reply: 01 cummins gauge cluster