24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Cold fuel plugging fuel filter...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 162 Likes on 143 Posts

Diesel Pap has a point if its like a 20% soy blend the soy oil will be thick and gummy and its should be a yellowish color as well

Old 01-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It could be soy diesel I guess, its not posted as bio-fuel or soydiesel but thats not saying there aint some in there. I'm almost positive its the fuel, I've already heard of more trucks having problems today, and that brownish caramel stuff turned into what looked like thick pudding sitting in the shop at 50 or 55 degrees.

I've heard the kerosene and gas trick works, kerosene and #1 are damn near the same thing, I dont know if I like the idea of putting gas in a VP truck, but kerosene should be fine.

They are both running fine now, but I will be keeping a close eye on my fuel pressure.

Last edited by moparious maximus; 01-21-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:02 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like false advertising if they didnt call it bio-diesel. I hope everything gets better for ya. Down in oklahoma nothin like that happens so i feel fortunate for that at least cause that sounds like it could get expensive really quick.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:14 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Always keep your fuel receipts. When something like this happens and you can prove it - you might be able to get some money out of the oil company if you yell loud enough.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:16 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Well idk about iowa but in minnesota it's mandatory that all diesel has 15% biodiesel in it. We were having problems with filters plugging in the gravel trucks at our construction company. We used to mix #1 and #2 in the winter but apparently now we are running some kinda winter blend fuel that only has to have 5% biodiesel in it

Old 01-28-2011, 02:53 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its gets pretty cold up here and at work in all of our dump, highway and service trucks as well as all of our equipment we use the KLEEN-FLO diesel fuel conditioner. we dont have issues with gelling or with junk fuel that has been sitting for to long in the slip tanks in the pickups. I started using it with my own truck when i bought a diesel and have had no problems. Also i have recently started using 2 stroke in the fuel as well. Anything to keep my high mile VP feelin nice!

Old 01-28-2011, 07:21 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 504 Likes on 412 Posts

About a week ago we had -15 and the next morning when I went to start the truck it started but was running rough like it was going to die. It tried to go into the high idle but it just wasn't there. When the 3 cylinder warm up hit it killed it. Started it again and ran rough for a bit but finally started to smooth out. I also noticed that my fuel pressure was about 12 psi where it is usually 17psi. It has been much colder than that before and I had no issue like the other morning. Then I talked to some other guys who said they had a little colder readings out in the country and their trucks were jelled up. You know it has to be the fuel. And I did have conditioner in it

Old 01-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 140 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazz
About a week ago we had -15 and the next morning when I went to start the truck it started but was running rough like it was going to die. It tried to go into the high idle but it just wasn't there. When the 3 cylinder warm up hit it killed it. Started it again and ran rough for a bit but finally started to smooth out. I also noticed that my fuel pressure was about 12 psi where it is usually 17psi. It has been much colder than that before and I had no issue like the other morning. Then I talked to some other guys who said they had a little colder readings out in the country and their trucks were jelled up. You know it has to be the fuel. And I did have conditioner in it
know this feeling all to well, only when mine does it, it just decides it doesn't wanna smooth itself out, change the airdog filters $50, add more additive than is necessary, and hope eventually it un-gels

Old 01-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Its the bean juice in the fuel that causes the problems.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rain Gelling

Originally Posted by bobcat67
know this feeling all to well, only when mine does it, it just decides it doesn't wanna smooth itself out, change the airdog filters $50, add more additive than is necessary, and hope eventually it un-gels
-22 this morning and gelled with a double dose of Power Service... Had to use 911 to thaw out the tank and lines, crack the HP lines, the whole nine yards. What is your preferred poison over in Bozeman for treating? Seems everyone has a brand, but not all of them are available around here (Philipsburg)
Thanks!

P.S. Heres hoping it warms up!

Quick Reply: Cold fuel plugging fuel filter...