Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Cold fuel plugging fuel filter... (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/68472-cold-fuel-plugging-fuel-filter.html)

moparious maximus 01-21-2011 11:28 AM

Cold fuel plugging fuel filter...

:argh:

It was -14* here this morning and both trucks started plugging fuel filters, my truck had the yellow-ish wax that I'm used to seeing (paraffin wax I'm assuming), now my dads truck (the 1-ton) had a really dark caramel colored slime on the filter that I've never seen before. I warmed his filter up and collected the gooey stuff and it started setting up in a container in our shop and its around 50* in here... What is this shit?

We did buy fuel at different places, we both use the Power Service additive ( I dont really know if that helps or hurts gelling, we use it to lube the fuel).

Just curious if anyone has seen this caremel colored slimey goo before?

Dr. Evil 01-21-2011 11:30 AM

Never seen that. Which Power Service are you using? The white bottle?

Add a triple dose to the tank and wrap the fuel filter with an electric heating pad and plug it in for a couple of hours. Trying to keep these things running in the cold sucks I know all about it.

moparious maximus 01-21-2011 11:44 AM

Yea, the white bottle, (supplement-cetane boost).

We called an oil-fuel sales guy, and he says it could be the fuel supplier's additive fighting with the Power Service, I guess stations around here dont buy actual (blended) fuel, they just add an additive. I could really use some #1 right now!

Red_Rattler 01-21-2011 11:50 AM

I've never heard of a northern fuel supplier not buying or supplying blended fuel, thats crazy that they dont and I'd be finding a new station thats does...

arobertson 01-21-2011 12:18 PM

run kerosene in your fuel it work great for me.

Dr. Evil 01-21-2011 12:33 PM

Some guys even run a little gasoline. Never tried it myself.

arobertson 01-21-2011 12:46 PM

gas is good only bout half a gallon a tank and only in a emergency. it will eat you orings in you pumps,but i does work beter than most thing from the store.

Farmboy 2.0 01-21-2011 12:54 PM

If you can find some winterezed schaffers additive which is awesome or run way more of the Power Service than they recommend. I usally run about 16oz to a tank and had great luck when I lived in Iowa

GuyWithA24Valve 01-21-2011 01:06 PM

I have never had a problem with filters in my truck plugging up in the winter and I've had if for 3 winters now. It's about -18 here right now and my truck is running fine. I would say that it's gotta be the fuel because the powerservice products usually all help to keep your truck from gelling but i don't remember if the slick diesel does. I think it does.

diesel pap 01-21-2011 01:10 PM

im wondering if this is some kind of biodiesel. like soy oil waxing up. i know a fuel guy around here that supplies several countys school buses said he had trouble with this. several buses had to be towed a couple years ago. the soy oil separated from the diesel. some countys must of got more soy than they was suppose too. he had a 10 percent mix in his tanks of soy oil. he said it only happened in cold weather. i never saw untreated diesel that power service would not treat but i only saw about -20 weather too.