24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

98.5 Ram 3500 no-start

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98.5 Ram 3500 no-start

New guy... first post

History
155,000 miles
<5,000 on reman ip

Normal 14 degree F start - died within 30 seconds as if key off.

P1698 No CCD messages Received from PCM - 0 starts since set
Not reset during no-start cranking

Code status (after clearing ECM/PCM and cranking) = no codes in PCM or ECM

No pressure reading (I know, I know), but air and weak fuel volume/no pressure out of test port on filter housing made me decide to R&R lift pump since I should have replaced it with ip.
BTW, ip failure was only the fuel shutoff solenoid and ip operation was great. $1,200 solenoid winding.

So, with no codes and DRBIII showing inputs n' outputs, on goes the lift pump (NAPA).
Now, with no-start status unchanged, I look more closely and see that the fuel shutoff driver status = off, and remains off with cranking RPM readings normal. Also the oil pressure status is 0 during cranking, but I don't know if the value will update during cranking (yes, oil level is OK).

The Question
Anyone know what inputs the ECM looks at to control fuel shutoff at the ip?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 01-13-2011, 03:28 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

I believe it looks at engine RPM and cam position. I don't suppose you changed your cam sensor during IP change? Its the best time to do it as the sensor hides behind the IP. some engines need to see both cam and crank signals, and some just use the cam sensor I am not too sure on which years use which sensors. Do you get any movement from your tach while cranking?
Of course there is this question, all fuses and relays good?
Have you tried cracking the supply line at the VP to see if there is fuel there? Bumping the starter will signal the lift pump to run for approximately 20 seconds.
Let us know how your making out.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply RAWilliams.

Short version
Problem solved... by bleeding the lines at the injectors.
It hit once while I was trying to photograph the cam sensor during cranking... game over-air in system.

Education
It seems that when the lift pump quits the injector pump bleeds out during subsequent cranking. I just didn't think "ran out of fuel" 'cause I didn't (the injector pump sure thought so). I did bleed the low pressure system up to the IP (in my defense )

The DRBIII data that confused me was the Fuel Shut Off Driver & Inj Pump Fuel Shut Off.

Normal Fuel Delivery
Fuel Shut Off Driver=On
Inj Pump Fuel Shut Off=Off

Fuel Shut Off
Fuel Shut Off Driver=Off
Inj Pump Fuel Shut Off=On

The kicker is that the Fuel Shut Off mode is only active on key off. The status never changes on the DRB readout unless you turn the key back on immediately. The Fuel Shut Off mode only lasts about 2 seconds. If you turn the key back on quickly, the driver status uploads to the DRBIII and you can see it... then it returns to the default allowing fuel.

Since I never saw it change, I thought the "Fuel Shut Off Driver=On" meant the shut off mode was active. To further beat the point into the ground, the ECM defaults to allow fuel (makes sense) and only enters the shut off mode for 2 seconds after key off.

Thanks,

Mike