24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Still won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Still won't start

I have a 02 24v 5spd and I recently encountered a list of problems all at once and I put a new vp 17x pump in it and a fass 90gph lp in it and even went as far as reseting the time to factory and when I pulled the injector I had fuel in the cyl and the truck acts like it wants to fire but just can't and someone had said that it maybe a injector bleeding pressure.. So here it goes the truck has 300k on it and original injectors is it possible for all 6 to go at the same time or should I start with one and go down the line and also is it possible for one injector to cause it not to hit and I have 16psi with ignition on and I also cracked the blessed on the filter and it is flowing very good so any info would be very very very helpful thanks in advance

Old 11-18-2010, 12:59 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

What is a "vp 17x" pump?

You "reset the time to factory" how?

Old 11-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

A bosh vp44 Ho injection pump witch is a 17x when it is remand and factory time is the from gear timing marks per the dodge dealer

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

The whole number on the pump is ipvr17x bosh injection pump

Oh and on the compression stroke wit both rockers under no pressure moving freely and lined up the o o on the gear assembly witch is timing marks
o

Last edited by navy_welder; 11-18-2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-18-2010, 02:34 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

Just got thinking about he fuel in the cylinder. Unless you drained the leak off line in the head, it will all pour into the cylinder when the injector is removed. I can't believe I didn't think of that.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:45 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I pulled the line and injector tube before I pulled the injector cause the injector won't come out without pulling the tube first

Oh and all tubes have new o-rings as well

Last edited by navy_welder; 11-18-2010 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-19-2010, 06:16 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Well first of all, You cant set the timing, It's keyed. So I'm guessing you "reset" the cam timing which I could hardly see useful, Considering We dont even pull the front cover. Even pulling the connector tube first you will fill the cylinder with fuel. SERIOUSLY doubt its an injector problem. I'm guessing you bled the injector lines? And I'm guessing you verified the O-rings on the connector tubes were good. With all that eliminated I would be looking at a bad ECM or PCM or Pump. Just because it's a new pump does not mean it's a good part.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have you checked your fuel systems fuses and relays? Are you even sure the VP is getting power? Did you make sure the VP connector plug is fully engaged? And as already stated, the VP may be no good. The chances of the injectors failing are slim, especially all of them. If the VP's getting fuel and the VP has power then the chances of it starting are very good. Doesn't mean it will run great if there's other issues either.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Well for one I did pull the front cover as stated and no I didn't just reset the cam timing I reset the whole thing and thank you for basically saying I'm incompitent I have ran into just about every problem you could think of and also mr rawilliams already stated that it couldn't be the injectors and also if you would read closer bud the injectors aren't designed to last as long as the ones in my truck have 300k miles and for that fact I also stated in the first post on this subject that I made I stated I went through and replaced all injector tube o-rings and injector o-rings due to the fact that I am a heavy equip mechanic and ruled them out a while ago then the ip pump is good and has power as stated as well and yes the connector is fully fastened and also in another post on here also stated that the chances of the pump being bad from the factory is slim to none and the symptoms I described could mean 2 different things and because I ruled one out the only other thing that would keep it from running is the ECM considering the way it derated the engine instead of it just dyeing

Old 11-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

easy big fella...were just trying to help. have you tried a new computer yet?

Old 11-23-2010, 04:16 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

I believe he is trying to track one down to try out.

Quick Reply: Still won't start