24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

weird problem truck will idle all daylong

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default weird problem truck will idle all daylong

this is a weird problem ive had for a long time i can start my truck up its starts up quick as usual and will idle and as soon as you touch the gas pedal it will stall and then will start right back up a be fine this thing is so damn weird also sometimes i start it up and be driving and get on it a little bit in second gear and the truck seems the just stop moving like dead in its tracks i really dnt understand what the hell it can be thanks for any help guys

Old 11-01-2010, 07:48 PM
High Tech Redneck

Received 496 Likes on 397 Posts

Fuel pressure? TPS? Apps? Lotsa varibles. No codes?

Old 11-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hand shaker? Slush box?

Old 11-02-2010, 04:55 AM
Diesel Fan

the fuel pressure is around 20 all the time at wot its like 18 and no codes and when it falls on it face it happens so fast u cant c if the pressure drops and i dnt know what a handshaker is ,and as for a slush box if you mean auto it isnt its a stick thanks guys

Old 11-02-2010, 05:56 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 108 Likes on 106 Posts

Have you checked for codes yet? They are essentially a must for diagnosing this type of issue. Will it die in neutral when you revv it up, or does it only die when in gear?
I am guessing VP44 or possibly (but unlikely) injector issues. Could be a simple ground problem as well I suppose....

Old 11-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Diesel Fan

i have never had a check engine light on and it will die in neutral also i just installed new injectors and it still does it. im thinkin the vp also it would just be nice if it was sum damn sensor haha like a tps

Old 11-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by wvsmoker
i have never had a check engine light on and it will die in neutral also i just installed new injectors and it still does it. im thinkin the vp also it would just be nice if it was sum damn sensor haha like a tps
TPS wouldn't cause it to die, but the cam position sensor could. It is possible (although not very likely) that it could be either a ground issue or even a bad relay. It would be great if you could hook it up to a code scanner to see if anything pops up...

Old 11-03-2010, 04:46 AM
Diesel Fan

ill try hooking up a scanner but i thought that sensors either work or not but thanks im gonna try to get sum codes

Old 11-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Diesel Fan

update didnt get any codes not one???

Old 11-04-2010, 05:37 PM
Diesel Bomber

I would suspect the VP44 is failing internally then, but it still could be a bad ground issue, or any other wiring issue really. As a first step I would recommend thoroughly cleaning the grounds under the hood and connections in the fueling harness. Couldn't hurt to swap out the fuel relay with the horn relay just to be safe as well. At least that part won't cost you anything but some time...
I really doubt it would be the APPS, as it should set a code if not functioning properly. They always do as far as I know...

Quick Reply: weird problem truck will idle all daylong