24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

VP-44?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 03:55 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

Those look good! Something with an adjustable on/off for the fan would be a nice touch as well. I suppose one could always run a switch in the cab to control the fan, but auto would be better, IMO.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Only worry I have with using a fuel cooler is that it will cool the fuel too much during the winters we have in wyoming so if I did one id have to be able to take it off during the winter probably

Old 08-22-2010, 05:08 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

this might be a idea i have seen it somewhere for gassers but what about a setting up a co2 fuel cooling system on a diesel run off a co2 bottle

Old 08-22-2010, 05:11 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

Only worry I have with using a fuel cooler is that it will cool the fuel too much during the winters we have in wyoming so if I did one id have to be able to take it off during the winter probably
I agree, as I live in central Alberta CANADA. I have already thought of a couple quick fixes for that. 1) Wrap the cooler in a couple rags and bag it. 2) 2 - 3way ball valves to bypass it.

Just a couple things that could aid the cold weather we get.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

In extreme cold ,even if you put it on a thermostat, that may not work unless you did a bypass as stated.

We don't get extreme weather around here so I think I would be safe.

Last edited by 00' Quad Cab; 08-22-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the outside temp is 115 in Nevada I wonder what temp my fuel could be Got good pressure now though

Old 08-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by RAWilliams
I agree, as I live in central Alberta CANADA. I have already thought of a couple quick fixes for that. 1) Wrap the cooler in a couple rags and bag it. 2) 2 - 3way ball valves to bypass it.

Just a couple things that could aid the cold weather we get.
thats what i was thinking, also where would be a good place to mount something like that i wonder without running hoses all over the place. i think running it to the front of the grill would be the best probably and during the winter when most people cover up the grill to keep their truck running warmer and to warm the truck up quicker it would probably keep the cooler warm enough but im not sure about running hoses all over the engine bay. so i thought maybe mounting it some way under the truck where it would be out of the way and rigging up maybe an air scoop of some sort to scoop and sort of blow more fresh air onto the cooler, problem i see with that is in deep snow it may break the scoop off if not mounted securely or scoop up a bunch of snow if mounted too low, the air scoop that is. i thought of doing it the way prerunners doing it by mounting it in the bed with the fans on it blowing but that'll take up bed space for those of us who have to use the bed.

so many possibilities just have to decide which would work best.....just not sure

Old 08-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Spent five bucks on black pvc pipe and fittings today and plummed in the ram air. Nothing fancy but will be effective I think. Black pipe blends in nice too. I'll take some pics this week.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

If I install a cooler in the bypass, Do you think it would be
some what effective????

NO.

The heat is generated in the VP44. You need to get the highest heat run through coolers to get the biggest temp drop. You need to run the VP44 return fuel through the coolers.

The bypass fuel is the same temp as the tank temp because all you have done is pumped it from the tank to the bypass and now it is going back to the tank without picking up any heat from the VP44.

I also found cooling the fuel before the VP44 was not as effective as cooling the fuel after the VP44 because the VP44 is where the heat is generated.

I even tried misting the vp44 with water mist trying to get the heat out of it. The VP44 is just a big block of aluminum after all. Did not work. I think I needed way more water than I could carry (100 gallons?). I thought of puting the VP44 IN A WATER BATH. Could not perfect the idea.

I did find that the OAT blower turns the VP44 into a fuel cooler above about 45 mph. The ram air flushes heat off the vp44 faster than the VP44 can generate heat. Prior to 45 mph the input fuel temp was lower than the VP44 case temp. After 45 mph the input fuel temp was higher than the VP44 case temp. Cruising at 60 mph for hours the whole tank fuel temp would drop to the OAT meaning the fuel temp extraction was greater than the fuel temp addition by the VP44 due to pumping psi and rotational friction and solenoid action (which is one of the greatest temp additions I think).

The OAT blower then also floods the VP44 (and for me because I drilled holes in the APPS pocket and vent some of the blower air out the APPS pocket top to cool the APPS) after engine shutdown to keep the block heat off the VP44 so it does not heat up after shutdown from latent block heat. The block is nothing more than a large stored heat source until 1 (Gary's timer) - 1 1/2 (my timer) hours after shutdown. Remember the solder on the PSG starts to melt at 140*, the block is 180* by definition of the water temp. The VP44 is aluminum and absorbs heat really well from the block. The blower floods the VP44 with OAT to keep the block heat from migrating to the VP44 frame and the PSG.

Bob Weis

Found it. Last post was made in 2008 though.

Modifying fuel system so temperature input to VP44, 80* - 100*, your inputs. - TDR Roundtable

Old 08-25-2010, 09:10 AM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by kymaco
Spent five bucks on black pvc pipe and fittings today and plummed in the ram air. Nothing fancy but will be effective I think. Black pipe blends in nice too. I'll take some pics this week.
Where is those pictures haha after the last post I think I'm going to try the ram air idea