24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

24v Things to look for and fix?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 24v Things to look for and fix?

I've decided to do some much needed work on my truck and i have a few questions....Ive heard about the killer dowel pin so im gonna check on that, and the motor leaks oil so im gonna try to seal it up, my question is while im doing this, what else should i be looking for while its apart/ should fix? truck is an 01 with 221,000 miles.....anychance that the case is already broken and thats why it leaks oil out of the front or would there be catastrophic failure along with a broken case? Id like to check and see if it was fixed when the new ip was installed first but i cant really leave my truck apart long enough to order the parts.....thanks in advance

Last edited by DodgeRam2500CTD; 07-17-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

the 24 valves don't have the KDP. If the motor is just leaking up front it could just be the blow by valve. Keep a good eye on the fuel pressure with the 2001 as the vp pump cannot handle fuel starvation. If the factory lift pump dies you have a good chance at burning the new ip out. If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge get one.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:09 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I thought the KDP went through the late 2nd gens too.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:10 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the dowel pin aint as bad on the 24v the 12v has alot more vibration but the vp44 is smooth and usually if it breaks the timing case it up towards the top of the case and part of ur leak could be that breather on the front of the timing cover i know mine breather was putting out a little i just butted some hose up to it and ran it back so it exits in my rear wheel well just somethings to think about

The following users liked this post:
Billy D (07-18-2010)
Old 07-18-2010, 09:47 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

The KDP is a problem on trucks all the way up to 2002. Starting in 98.5 they were supposed to have an updated cover to fix the problem, but as many of us have found out, it's hit and miss on if your truck will have it. The only way to know is to pull it apart.

If you leaking up front it's probably the front crank seal that you will be replacing when you check the kdp anyway.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:27 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Ok thanks guys, the seals come with the KDP kit anyway so i suppose ill just order it to be on the safe side, anything else to look for? I have gauges, Fuel Pres, Pyro, and Boost, New LP also, no telling how long the new ip will last, i guess they didnt replace the LP because i bought it and was told they both got replaced, drove it, didnt have money for gauges yet and then it started sputtering at high rpms....hooked a gauge to it and 0psi so it was run for prolly 10,000 miles with a bad lp, it would come on and run just had no suction at all....another question, I've always used Gasket sealer on axle dif covers and had good luck, would this work on the timing cover if high temp stuff was used or just go with felpro?

Old 07-18-2010, 10:38 AM
BOMBARDIER

We've always just used RTV for the cover. The cover's a pain to put in right unless you have the special tool that isn't worth the money just to fix your own truck. You will need a small pick though. As you put the cover back on you have to use the pick to go around the seal and push it on. The rubber, so to speak flap has to go on so that it's facing towards the engine and not just pushed on so it's facing out. It won't seal anything if it does. Once you get it started on the shaft it will stay in place as you slide it back.

If you have been leaking oil all this time then rest assured your radiator is covered in oil, even if it doesn't look like it. If you search my threads you will find a thread I started about this issue. So make your life even easier and just pull the radiator while your at it. This is easy to do, gives you a chance to clean it the right way and will make your cover removal and install so much easier.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Yea, my truck would get warm quite a bit when pulling a trailer, so i pulled it out and tried to scrub the crap out of it.....Didnt work so hot, Pressure washer and degreaser to blow that stuff all the way through? Instead of just shoving it in deaper? I know how pressure washers work and i didnt want to damage the radiator in any way so i held of on that idea....when i first took it out, air was only getting through a 6in round circle, the rest of the radiator had pretty thick buildup...

Old 07-18-2010, 11:08 AM
BOMBARDIER
Old 07-18-2010, 11:18 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Thanks for the input and suggestions guys.....Ill let ya know how it turns out