24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

My 99 wont start...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 11:56 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My 99 wont start...

i was just cruisin down the road and my pickup up and died. it didnt sputter at all like it was outta fuel, it just died. so i tried priming the filter, cracked all the injectors to check for fuel, and made sure i was getting fuel at the fuel water separator. my transfer pump and fuel pump are working just fine. but my pickup still will not start. it will crank just fine, and every now and again the cranks git faster like she wants to start but still wont. I think it might be my oil pressure sensor takin a on me. Any ideas? Id appreciate it.

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 05-10-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:26 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

I wouldn't point the finger of blame on an oil pressure sensor at first. Could you fill out your signature with the information of your truck so we know what we are dealing with? Do you have a fuel pressure gauge or light? Are you able to retrieve any codes, if there are any? I'm not 100% sure on your exact truck, but some Cummins engines only had a Cam sensor that played the role of cam and crank sensor, others had both. Checking to make sure these are connected would be an idea. How about all the fuses? Unfortunately the scenario could be the VP44 itself, many pumps have died the same way.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:50 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

a 99 should just have a crank position sensor (I believe). I doubt its the oil pressure sender.

Scan for codes.

And install a fuel pressure guage.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Diesel Fan

I dont have a scanner yet or a fuel pressure gauge. and my next guess was the cam position sensor. all my fuses are fine.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:19 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Not that it can't happen but I've never heard of any of the sensors just goin out all at once like that. The beauty of diesel teucks is the fact that they're simple, fuel, air and compression is about all it takes to run. May not run very well but as long as you have those things it will run.

That being said I'd put my bet on the injector pump. Just cause it's spittin fuel doesn't mean that it's spittin enough at the right pressures at the right moment in time. Been there done this through 3 pumps now.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:23 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by bwskweeker
I dont have a scanner yet or a fuel pressure gauge. and my next guess was the cam position sensor. all my fuses are fine.
So how are you going to troubleshoot that?

If you own one of these trucks - you NEED a scanner or a Smarty and you NEED a fuel pressure guage. I wouldnt drive a 24V 10 feet without either one of these tools. Injector pumps are $$.

I too bet its the Injector pump - sorry.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:37 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 05-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by bwskweeker
i was just cruisin down the road and my pickup up and died. it didnt sputter at all like it was outta fuel, it just died. so i tried priming the filter, cracked all the injectors to check for fuel, and made sure i was getting fuel at the fuel water separator. my transfer pump and fuel pump are working just fine. but my pickup still will not start. it will crank just fine, and every now and again the cranks git faster like she wants to start but still wont. I think it might be my oil pressure sensor takin a on me. Any ideas? Id appreciate it.
MY 1999 died the exact same way....one day 19psi at the injector pump...the very next day getting on the freeway (with my mechanic who happens to be a good friend) while on the on ramp (obviously running) she fell FLAT on her face and died. started simple....cranked her over and found the Lift pump (frame mounted was running its 25 seconds...next checked the guage (showed 17 psi while cranking) next cracked the lines at the injectors and had fuel comming out...but she wouldnt fire off....

GET A SCANNER....had one brought down and sure enough...injector pump bit the bullet....didnt get the normal 215 code...got the code that said MECHANICAL FAILFURE....very rare or less common then electronical (po215 code) but it does happen...in this case you will get fuel at the injectors.

I hope it isnt that...but try the check list layed out by others above and go from there....ohhhh yea....and DANG IT JIM...GET A FP GUAGE

NCA

Old 05-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

sounds like the injector pump

Old 05-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Diesel Fan

Alright i appreciate yalls help. im still workin on gittin the fp gauge and a scanner but those do cost money...

Quick Reply: My 99 wont start...