24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Cracked Block

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked Block

I have a 1999 Dodge cummins 24 vavle 5.88 liter diesel that I suspect has a cracked block. It is leaking antifreeze down the passenger side of the block. Is this a 53 block? and does anyone have any experience with situation?

Old 04-02-2010, 08:44 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Very likely a #53...

Info is here - with pics of my #53 - 53 Block FAQ and Information

IMO, the only real fix is the swap the block out.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:43 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 240 Likes on 192 Posts

welcome to diesel bombers and that really sucks for that to be your first thread thats a bummer

Old 04-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

yea bud that blows...but im with dr evil. the only true fix is to swap the block if that is the case. if you look for a fix other problems are sure to follow.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

if its just an external leak you can put a brass cap on it,

Old 04-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Default Cracked Block

Originally Posted by menedo
I have a 1999 Dodge cummins 24 vavle 5.88 liter diesel that I suspect has a cracked block. It is leaking antifreeze down the passenger side of the block. Is this a 53 block? and does anyone have any experience with situation?
The "53" comes from a casting number on the side of the block and is used to identify the problem blocks. Supposedly it affects about 100,000 blocks, but not only in Dodge Rams.
If you want to see if your engine block could be one of these dreaded "53" blocks, crawl under the front, left side, and look up at the block on the front, directly under the injector pump (by the PS pump). You should see a large wiring harness mounted to the block. Directly below this, just above where the oil pan meets the block you will look for a "53" cast in the block. The numbers will be about 1 inch tall. This will tell you if it is. What happens is a crack develops on the right side of the engine, below the freeze plugs, right where the block bends back towards the inside of the block. It is a difficult area to see for auto transmission owners as it is directly behind the transmission heat exchanger. At first everything evaporates so there is no spot under the truck, but you may notice a coolant odor. The leak doesn't occur at idle in most cases because the crack is tight to get through, and doesn't leak until the RPMs of the engine are up, with the water pump causing higher pressure inside the engine block due to the restriction of the thermostat. The crack will grow over time and you will go through coolant faster. I found that I lost coolant at a slower rate if I let the engine warm up for a while, so the thermostat opened and lessened the pressure inside the engine block. There is a repair for this from a company in California I think they are called LOCK-N-STITCH Inc. I hope this helps you out.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Klove97220
The "53" comes from a casting number on the side of the block and is used to identify the problem blocks. Supposedly it affects about 100,000 blocks, but not only in Dodge Rams.
If you want to see if your engine block could be one of these dreaded "53" blocks, crawl under the front, left side, and look up at the block on the front, directly under the injector pump (by the PS pump). You should see a large wiring harness mounted to the block. Directly below this, just above where the oil pan meets the block you will look for a "53" cast in the block. The numbers will be about 1 inch tall. This will tell you if it is. What happens is a crack develops on the right side of the engine, below the freeze plugs, right where the block bends back towards the inside of the block. It is a difficult area to see for auto transmission owners as it is directly behind the transmission heat exchanger. At first everything evaporates so there is no spot under the truck, but you may notice a coolant odor. The leak doesn't occur at idle in most cases because the crack is tight to get through, and doesn't leak until the RPMs of the engine are up, with the water pump causing higher pressure inside the engine block due to the restriction of the thermostat. The crack will grow over time and you will go through coolant faster. I found that I lost coolant at a slower rate if I let the engine warm up for a while, so the thermostat opened and lessened the pressure inside the engine block. There is a repair for this from a company in California I think they are called LOCK-N-STITCH Inc. I hope this helps you out.
The 53 stamp could be on either side. A buddy of mine has one on one side and my truck has it on the other side. So if you don't see it on the left side try looking on the right side of the block.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:39 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

yup. My 53 is on both sides.

And Lock n Stitch is just a band aid fix here. The best route is to reblock it.

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 04-11-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Diesel Fan

I had Cummins swap blocks on mine a few years ago. They had a program were they would do the swap if you paid the labor and expendables and they paid for parts block included. It cost me $3,000 and them $3,000. I beleive the program is over but it is worth a shot to look into.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:49 PM
"Ohio Bombers" Director
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Not to thread hijack.... BUT... I have a 53 block with 165k on it... It has had a tuner on it from previous owner and i have on on it now. The prior owner towed a big camper... Like 10K ALLOT! How worried SHOULD i be? I dont wanna jinx myself so i wont mention the state of my block right now but im sure you get my drift!

Quick Reply: Cracked Block