24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

ABS and Brake light stuck on

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Mine did this two years ago it that rear sensor in the rear diff it was easy to change one bolt to pull its on top passenger side in the diff your speedo will go out next

Old 01-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

same thing with mine. both lights came on, then i lost the abs all together and could get the truck to lock up and slide , and then the speedo went to zero and stayed. changed the sensor in the top of the rear diff and it fixed everything. took it to the dealer to get the codes read first though.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

does your cruise work?

Old 01-12-2010, 08:12 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

im going through similar problems right now, i changed the rear sensor, and it didnt fix any of the problems

https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-val...r-problem.html

Old 01-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts

Unfortunately it is not the rear diff sensor. I just got back from the dealership. They went through the system. My ABS pump seized and took the ABS controller with it. They want $1300 to fix it. Why does this stuff always happen when you are away from home? When I get home I am going to have my mechanic check it out. He only does the 5.9 gen 1-3 and everything on the trucks. I will keep my fingers crossed that he can do it cheaper.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Umm yea that sounds pretty scarry I would definatly get a 2nd opinion especially from someone you trust. When i was wrechin for a living I only maybe changed a couple of abs pumps and thats over 11yrs and a hand ful off abs modules.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 97 and both the brake light and abs light came on i couldnt figure out what it was. I fixed it one day when i bled my back brakes some nasty black fluid came out and the lights have never came back on. I dont know but you might give it a try might work for you.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:36 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by crazycooter
obdIII is the only reader that can access the cab system that controls the brakes and abs. I have had both lights on since I bought mine. It stops fine, I am not worried yet
Whenever the ABS light turns on, ABS function seizes to exist.

Once you've checked tire pressures, fluid levels, and ensure no leaks and a proper mechanical braking system is in place, check one is the sensors. They are typically a pulse generating sensor. Unplug the sensor at the wheel, turn your Digital multimeter to AC Voltage, red on one side of the plug terminal, black on the other. Now have someone give the tire a good spin. As long as these trucks do have pulse generated sensors like every other vehicle on the road, your voltage should increase as wheel speed increases. If you do not get the reading, clean everything and check the reluctor ring to sensor gap.

All this being said, I am unsure of the details with the Dodge truck ABS system, but this procedure is "generally speaking" with ABS systems.

Good luck!

Old 01-14-2010, 04:09 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by chpmnsws6
Whenever the ABS light turns on, ABS function seizes to exist.

Once you've checked tire pressures, fluid levels, and ensure no leaks and a proper mechanical braking system is in place, check one is the sensors. They are typically a pulse generating sensor. Unplug the sensor at the wheel, turn your Digital multimeter to AC Voltage, red on one side of the plug terminal, black on the other. Now have someone give the tire a good spin. As long as these trucks do have pulse generated sensors like every other vehicle on the road, your voltage should increase as wheel speed increases. If you do not get the reading, clean everything and check the reluctor ring to sensor gap.

All this being said, I am unsure of the details with the Dodge truck ABS system, but this procedure is "generally speaking" with ABS systems.

Good luck!
I will check that out. According to Dodge my ABS pump seized and that caused a short in the control module.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:34 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

could doing a burn out cause this cause it happened to me a day after i showed my buddies how a real truck does a burnout ..speedo doesnt work till 20 mph too

Quick Reply: ABS and Brake light stuck on