24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

HX40

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default HX40

I was turned onto the HX40 by a member here and would like some different view here on this. My stock turbo is starting to get some shaft play in it, and at the very least needs a rebuild.

I am looking to build a little power, but I hear the HX40 shaft breaks mostly when the turbo is loaded quickly. I use my truck for everything from sled pulling to getting out in to the back woods. So a turbo failure is not ideal, but the price is right.

My questions:

How often do these things fail?
Under what conditions are these likely to fail?
If it fails can the truck still get me back out of the woods?
In the event of shaft failure would I need to block the oil supply line to contuine driving?
Is there some sort of upgrade that would still make this turbo economical?

Old 12-13-2009, 09:28 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have seen trucks drive with blown turbos but i cant imagine it is good for it

Old 12-13-2009, 11:26 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne
i have seen trucks drive with blown turbos but i cant imagine it is good for it
Correct me if im wrong but they wouldnt hurt the truck any I dont belive as far as more mechanical issues, the would run but have no power and for the most part get you out as long as you didnt have any hard pulls or anything requiring any kind of major power. sorry dont help you out too much on the HX40 decision but it should get you back to civilization in the case of failure.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:55 PM
FormerVendor
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Unhook your boots going to the intake manifold and thats pretty much what it would be like, not fun at all and no power(thought I blew mine but I just didnt tighten the IC boots down good enough). I have seen alot of people run the HX40's without a problem. All depends on how you treat them, biggest thing that ruins turbos is overspooling them, lack of lubrication, and whats called turbo bark where the turbo is spooled, fuel is cut off instantly(backing off the go pedal really quick) and the turbo actually spins in the opposite direction forcing air out the intake causing a braking noise