24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Warm up problems!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warm up problems!

Hi! Just wondering if anyone could help me out!

I drive a 2001 Dodge Cummins 5.9L with 230K on it.
What happens is every time i start it up at below 0C without having it plugged in and he starts to sound like its running on 3 cylinders it idles up and white smoke like a house i burning down somewhere, and the problem is he does not stop to smoke, yes after 10 min. its less but still u can see it smokin and cant be near it otherwise you'll be smelling like diesel all day long.
I heard it could be injectors and that it could be solved with a fuel conditioner or running it hard. Is there a way to check them without going to the dealer? (not going to dealer since i am in Canada and dealers around here dont really know anything about cars)
And if the injectors are not good anymore wich injectors to use other than factory ones?

Old 12-12-2009, 04:03 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Welcome to the site. To really be able to help you with this we need ya to fill out your signature with details about your truck and what you've done to it. These details can make all the difference in the world at how much help we can be here.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:07 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 240 Likes on 192 Posts

welcome to diesel bombers and good luck

Old 12-13-2009, 10:43 AM

Thanks! just updated my Signature form! Basic truck with all factory parts on it, yet!

Old 12-13-2009, 11:55 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

The most important modification you can make to this truck is a fuel pressure gauge mounted someplace that you can see it at all times. The lack of this $50 gauge could very easily cost you a $1200 Injector pump, which it possibly already could have here.

Is the smoke white, gray or black that your getting. Other then the warm up period how does the truck run, any other problems that you have noticed.

The injectors themselves are simple to pull out and if you have a Bosch Service Center near you they will usually pop test them for free and do a sonic cleaning on them for less then $30.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:49 PM

If the truck starts up the smoke is white and its smokin like crazy after about 15 min. it less. During the warm up idles up and down sometimes it idles up for a while than u have to tip the clutch or the throttle. After the truck is warm it runs good no signs of power loss or anything that could catch my attention, the only thing is the smoke is still visible but of course not so much anymore, but the strong unburned diesel smell is still there.

I think i should mention that during the warm up if it idles up to high than i get grey smoke but for a moment.

I guess the gauge is there for to monitor the lift pump pressure so the injector pump want run dry! Where do i get this gauge? In Canada its hard to find any special parts for cars or trucks because out here people dont really care what are they driving and why!

Old 12-13-2009, 12:55 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Sounds to me like you might have grid heater issues. Are the grids cycling correctly, both pre-heat and post-start?

Old 12-13-2009, 12:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds normal to me other than it doing that at 32*. My truck does that when it's cold out.... -10 and colder temps though.

I haven't plugged my truck in yet this year and it's been as cold as -15*. Starting to warm up a little now though, it's 4*

Old 12-13-2009, 02:11 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Its supposed to go into 3 cylinder idle and hi idle when its cold - and yes it will smoke white for a bit. Let it run for 5 minutes and then just get in and drive it. Keep the RPM's under 2k and take it easy until it gets up to operating temperature. the day of ideling diesels for hours on end are long gone.

You really should plug it in for 3 hours when its that cold.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:15 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by edlupp
I guess the gauge is there for to monitor the lift pump pressure so the injector pump want run dry! Where do i get this gauge? In Canada its hard to find any special parts for cars or trucks because out here people dont really care what are they driving and why!

www.peakdieselperformance.com - most of the parts are here - you just have to look harder to find them.

The dollar is good - order it from the US. www.vulcanperformance.com is also a very good source for FP guage stuff and they will mail you the stuff instead of dinging you with UPS shipping charges.

Just do a search - I have tons of posts on FP guage installs.

Quick Reply: Warm up problems!