24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

New here...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 09:15 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

well make sure you get a good lift pump and fuel psi gauge i wouldnt relie on that in tank thing ya got there but good luck

Old 12-13-2009, 11:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

One more thing- It is probably the lift pump or our other nemesis to diesel owners - WATER!! (in fuel)! With the weather getting colder water rears its ugly head and causes more problems. I have talked to many diesel experts in almost all facets of dieseldom and they all agree - almost 90% of diesel starting or staying running is caused by water in fuel. Do like the other gents told you - get a fuel pressure guage - if your lift pump went out your vp44 is not far behind as it will be damaged as you would not know how long the pump was failed so the truck ran on only the injector pump only which will sack the vp44 sooner or later. 2nd - change fuel filter and siphon all the fuel out in the canister to rid of any water and tighten back up. 3rd- crack one at a time fuel lines at the head - stand back - the pressure could be dangerous- have junior crank until clean fuel comes out and then tighten and move to the next injector line. Then Hopefully you will run fine for a while. I would bet the vp44 will not last too much longer - mine lasted about one more year of hard starting - but now that its replaced I am thinking I should have a. started saving awhile ago and b. changed it out much earlier. Remember when draining the fuel lines to limit cranking to 20 seconds or less - then give starter a minute or two cooldown before starting process over. Good luck my friend.