24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Clamping off Wategate line on HX35?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Clamping off Wategate line on HX35?

Hey guys, a buddy of mine told me to clamp off the wastegate line on my HX35 and i will get more boost. Couple questions...

1. Does this work?
2. Will it overboost my truck and stretch head studs, blow head gasket or overspin turbo?
3. I already see 35-37 lbs of boost, how much more will this net me if its safe?
4. Is this recommended?

Old 12-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldnt do it if your already getting 35+psi of boost im pretty sure the hx35 is only rated to 35 but there are some guys running higher. Also how do you get 35psi already the factory waste gate is set to like 22.8 or somthing like that i think your waste gate might already be stuck closed

But if it aint broken and it works LEAVE IT ALONE

Old 12-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

IDK, bone stock i got 16-18 PSI, added a boost elbow on stock truck, got 25ish, added edge comp on EZ mode, got 30, tapped wire and now im getting 35-38 PSI, turn comp box off and i see 30.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Diesel Wrench

humm I have the quad addr and the highest i have seen is 23 and thats pushing it i might get a lttle higher maybe i have something wrong with my truck

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

i might try to clamp my line and see if i can get a higher boost if i cant my waste gate might be messed up

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

oh how much is it noticable having like 22 psi verses going up to 35

Last edited by NCFPD; 12-04-2009 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

i don't think anything is wrong with your truck NCFPD, i have the adrenaline running the comp tune and i only see about 23 with spikes up to 25. i put a thread on here and everyone said it was normal. i have heard if you push the HX35 past about 34 35 it only blows hot air and is basicly useless, and you run the risk of overspinning your turbo. honestly i wouldn't clamp the line, its there for a reason.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Diesel Wrench

ok good to know my stuffs alright yea i would just leave it all alone. And as for crazed up above i dnt think i would clap your line at all your already pushing 35+

Old 12-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

we just take the exhaust side off and weld the flap so it doesn't open anymore

Old 12-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Banned
Received 3,297 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Originally Posted by NCFPD

But if it aint broken and it works LEAVE IT ALONE
Your Sig...

silencer ring MIA

WOW.

Anyway ... with out a boost fooler if you block the waste gate you will throw over boost codes , you can get a boost fooler stand alone MAP for like $40 or a edge ez or another programmer , im pretty sure all programmers and chips have built in boost foolers.

with stock injectors your not going to make enough boost to hurt anything so blocking the waste gate wouldnt be dangerious , but your not going to gain much of anything , so you got more boost ...nope , boost is pressure ....you got more pressure ...you dont want more pressure you want more air flow , upgrading your intake and exhaust manifolds and turbo is the route you want to go, simply increasing the pressure is not what you want.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by DieselMinded
Your Sig...

WOW.

Anyway ... with out a boost fooler if you block the waste gate you will throw over boost codes , you can get a boost fooler stand alone MAP for like $40 or a edge ez or another programmer , im pretty sure all programmers and chips have built in boost foolers.

with stock injectors your not going to make enough boost to hurt anything so blocking the waste gate wouldnt be dangerious , but your not going to gain much of anything , so you got more boost ...nope , boost is pressure ....you got more pressure ...you dont want more pressure you want more air flow , upgrading your intake and exhaust manifolds and turbo is the route you want to go, simply increasing the pressure is not what you want.
very nice chad

Old 12-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Diesel Wrench

when i said if it aint broke leave it alon i was refering to the terbo and messing with it when its already making sufficiante enough boost pressure why mess with it and as for my silencer ring it was missing when i bought it so in return i havnt touched it

Quick Reply: Clamping off Wategate line on HX35?