24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

oil leaking from crank case breather tube.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blow By

First thing, I would check would be your vacuum lines. Make sure that they are connected.
If these are cracked or broken, it can cause a lot of crankcase pressure.
A compression and leak down test would be the next thing I would do.
Good luck.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:53 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea i talked to a guy thatworked for cummins and he said that some not many but some of the early 24v had the close cap on the front and the blow of coming out the driver sid rear above the starter and it runs between the starter and the block and thats what i got

Old 11-24-2009, 09:37 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by NCFPD
Yea i talked to a guy thatworked for cummins and he said that some not many but some of the early 24v had the close cap on the front and the blow of coming out the driver sid rear above the starter and it runs between the starter and the block and thats what i got
Ten years a fightin with these things locally here and on a number of boards and it's the first time I ever heard a that. Doesn't make it impossible to be the truth so who knows.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:32 PM
Diesel Wrench

yea very true and i though it was something that was riged up and i didnt have to describe it he new exactly what it was and that it ran between the starter and the block like he was looking at so i believed him but what do i know

Old 11-25-2009, 10:04 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

The only tube in that area that I can think of is the water drain for the fuel filter. But I imagine the OP knows the difference between Diesel Fuel and Oil.

Can you get pictures of this? I would really like to see one of these as I have never seen or heard of one before this. Does this come off one of the side covers?

To the OP are you sure it is coming out of the breather? Not like the valve cover maybe or anything else? With the engine running and you hold your hand to the tube can you feel a lot of flow or pressure? If your sure the oil is from the breather tube then I would get a compression test done just to check.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Diesel Wrench

yea if you were talking to me kazairl i will try to get a pic also im not sure about it coming outta a side cover but its up abover the map sensor

Old 11-26-2009, 10:46 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by kazairl
The only tube in that area that I can think of is the water drain for the fuel filter. But I imagine the OP knows the difference between Diesel Fuel and Oil.

Can you get pictures of this? I would really like to see one of these as I have never seen or heard of one before this. Does this come off one of the side covers?

Sounds like he's got a TSB moded truck where the vent was relocated back to the tappet cover like the oldr 12V's.

To the OP are you sure it is coming out of the breather? Not like the valve cover maybe or anything else? With the engine running and you hold your hand to the tube can you feel a lot of flow or pressure? If your sure the oil is from the breather tube then I would get a compression test done just to check.
Like someone else metioned just check all your vacuum line because the vacuum pump becomes a excellent crankcase compressor.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:53 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NCFPD
And that's what I also have.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 98.5 too and it vents down by the starter also

Old 06-22-2015, 12:33 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow I'm following this post because 4 gallons of oil in 400 miles is crazy! I thought being 1.5 quarts low in 7000 miles was bad yes a long time to go on an oil change but somehow I was 1000 miles off when I filled out my sticker haha and I have an oil pan leaking pretty good

Quick Reply: oil leaking from crank case breather tube.