24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

need help bad please

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default need help bad please

Ok i just put in my new vp bec. the old one died. i have every thing hooked up checked and doudle checked the lines have been blead to but i cant get no fire at all no puts nothing i do get a little haze outta the stack for a sec. after trying to start it and it smells kinda like burnt paper what am i doing wrong i need help getting my truck running

Old 11-20-2009, 10:38 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

is this a brand new VP??

You have fuel coming out of the injection lines?? Is your lift pump working??

Old 11-20-2009, 10:46 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Lines are packed full of air and it's gonna take em a while to clear out and fill with fuel. Start at the fuel filter cannister and crack the water drain open till fuel starts movin through it and then crack a few injector lines and crank away. While yer crankin hold the go pedal to the floor to help purge the air.

If it still won't go you may need to crack a line at the injector pump till it flows.

If all else fails you can also run a jumper wire from the battery to the lift pump so it will run until you shut it off to help prime the system.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Diesel Wrench

thats the thing i put a new raptor 150 LP on at the same time i have all the air outta the lines and i have fuel coming outta the injector lines i dont know i mean if it is getting fuel it should at least put ya know. the pump is used it has 60 k miles on it and i was garenteed that it would work it came from a sponsor here on diesel bombers

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

and i had no problems with the truck till the stock VP just stopped working

Last edited by NCFPD; 11-20-2009 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-20-2009, 10:58 PM
BOMBARDIER

So at the head you have fuel flowing when your crankin right. Any smoke comin out from under the hood while your doin this

Old 11-20-2009, 11:18 PM
Diesel Wrench

nope nothin at onepoint for about a half n hour i would get a haz comin from the stack and it smelled like burt paper a little but thats all i have gotten have have been trying for 3 hours
off and on

Old 11-20-2009, 11:25 PM
BOMBARDIER

You absolutely without a doubt, positively and completely sure you got that key way in the slot. It will go in wrong and that nut will suck it right on the shaft just the same as if it's right. Wonder how i know that.

Thanks Blue Chip Diesel for savin my life on that little mess up.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:28 PM
Diesel Wrench

yea i checked and double checked i line it up to the same spot that my stocker was when i pulled it then i used a mirror and had it lined up you could barley see it bec. the key is slanted ok and i tightend the nut down and it all went smooth what happens if the key was in wrong is there a way to check with out pulling the pump out again

Old 11-20-2009, 11:33 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure if you know about the bump trick for the lift pump. but rather that cranking on the motor you can just bump the starter and the lift pump will run for 30 sec if you need to blead the lines any more. As for the not starting my be because the lift pump is putting to much pressure on the diaphrame of the inlet of the vp 44 I know on the fass pumps they talk about this problem causing hard starts and even not starting at all So if you have a good stock lift pump and the lines still in place try hooking that back up and get it running then work with the airdog pump. But they did run a stronger diphrame on some of the new ones. so do you know what year of truck the vp 44 came out of

Old 11-20-2009, 11:35 PM
BOMBARDIER

If the key is in the wrong place then fuel moves but the timing is all off so nothing fires. It usually spits raw fuel out the exhaust manifold if you have any leaks in there at all and smokes as the raw fuel hits the heat of the exhaust and turbo.

Quick Reply: need help bad please