24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

What do ABS+Brake+Speedometer+Parking break....,

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile What do ABS+Brake+Speedometer+Parking break....,

have in common, sensors, current, etc, and all mine seem to be malfunctioning at the same time.
I have abs+Break light on the dash, (I've checked (every) fuse, the abs CAB, and it's connectors, all braking components, pedal, switch, brake cylinders & lines, and wire harness, no leaks, shorts, (that I can see) everything looks slighty worn but working, leaving me just the sensors? I have no parking brake light on, when it outta be, and I think the speedometer sensor is on it's way out?
So from hear, I need to test the rear VSS?( as I don't have front abs) And figure out which sensor the trans uses to figure speed? Only problem there is, I have books and pictures, but none of them clearly show which is the tranys speed sensor. so I need info to it's location. Oh and let me add this, I have no mechanical problems, brakes work, parking brake, so?????
Any input and or help would of course, be met w/ a smile!
Thanks guys

Old 11-05-2009, 04:23 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

The speed sensor should be mounted on top of the rear axle third member housing. I beleive it is held in place by a 13 mm bolt. you can check the ABS codes at the diagnostic connector.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Welcome To DB

Last edited by Jet A Fuel; 11-05-2009 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Jet A Fuel
The speed sensor should be mounted on top of the rear axle third member housing. I believe it is held in place by a 13 mm bolt. you can check the ABS codes at the diagnostic connector.

Welcome To DB
Thanks for the welcome, and the info, am about to pull that rear sensor, "about", and unfortunately, because of my rigs incept date, those codes for ABS system, can only be read by the dealer w/ a DRB, II, or III scanner, don't happen to have one of those just laying around ? Heheh
Thanks tho Jet, E for effort..

Old 11-05-2009, 05:06 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

dont bother runnin codes its the sensor that he metioned had it happen on my truck, its really easy to change and i think only about 40 bucks at an auto parts store

Old 11-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

You should be able to momentarily ground pin 13 (at the 16 pin diag connector at your knee level) a black wire and watch the Brake lite will flash.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

The speed sensor should be mounted on top of the rear axle third member housing. I beleive it is held in place by a 13 mm bolt. you can check the ABS codes at the diagnostic connector.

Welcome To DB
X2 changed mine out in the winter had to brake the ice off to get to it

Old 11-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

the o-ring holds on very well when removing, also grease the o-ring with installing it, and life will be easier.. I just did this 1 month ago on my 99

Old 11-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Diesel Fan

You should be able to momentarily ground pin 13 (at the 16 pin diag connector at your knee level) a black wire and watch the Brake lite will flash.
Thanks for that tidbit, Umm knee level to what, plus if I do find this little gem of a connector, and have a successful ground, and lights do flash, what is that telling me?
Thanks guys

Last edited by pappyscrapster; 11-10-2009 at 10:35 AM. Reason: editing
Old 11-10-2009, 01:01 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

its just away to check the sensor is all when you ground it out and the lights are flashing that just means it the sensor not the wiring but if they dont work then its the wiring

Old 11-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Diesel Fan

Ahhh got ya, process of elimination, check.
Thanks for the information and time.

Quick Reply: What do ABS+Brake+Speedometer+Parking break....,