24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Front driveline anybody...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Front driveline anybody...?

after rebuilding all of the u joints in the front driveline, and not getting anything solved thanks to that stupid double cardan u joint, I was wondering if someone has found a suitable replacement driveline that doesn't suck. Maybe like one that uses a CV to replace that double cardan setup. I can't be the only one around who is dissapointed in Dodge's design here.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts
Old 11-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Thanks, I checked them out, and they look promising. I checked out several others, and apparently the "double cardan cv" is a popular joint. dynotech seems to also have a true CV joint they can put on the end of a drive shaft. I am going to call them tomorrow, and find out what they can do for me, and for what price. I know my stock shaft is cratered, and I need something.

Realizing how my stock shaft met its demise, is the main prompt for me to find better engineering. I work in the oilfield, so daily maintenance is out the window. There is no way to grease the ball and socket in the stock joint, and no way to keep dirt and sand from finding its way in there, and when your vacuum lines come apart (thanks to all of the heavy mud that can find its way under there) and leave your front end locked in so your drive shaft is whipping around at 65 mph, you know, it just happens... So, don't just replace, upgrade and prevent the cause.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:15 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I ended up going down to a local shop here in town, Pueblo Brake and Clutch, and they have practice rebuilding these sort of things, you know, and I had them put a little bit beefier set of u joints in to rebuild that double cardan style, and a greasable centering ball joint in it, to the tune of about $325 out the door with a grease needle so I could grease the centering ball.

I realized that this had to be done when all of the bolts that hold my transfer case up to my transmission sheared off and left my t case sitting on the skid plate