24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

torque converter issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 99 and when i put it in reverse and hit the throttle the torque converter unlocks and i go no where ..could this also be the problem or is it time for a new converter

Old 10-06-2009, 02:14 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bryson
My 98.5 did the exact same thing.

Have the dealer re-flash your PCM and you'll be good to go.
Just sayin'... It's worth a try.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cumminspwrram59
ok so now its time to talk to some experts on here because the problem is back and its as bad now as before the noise filter fixed it for a couple weeks but now its back doin it any other suggestions what is the apps
You could try the re wire from suncoast. It wont cost you anything except a couple of connector and a length of wire to run to the battery and back. Worth a shot. Man I hope you get that fixed, I know it is a PITA hunting down gremlins.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

well i took the battery cables off and let the computer reset itself and cleaned my batt. terminals. everything is ok as of now but as soon as someone reads this post it wall happen again. thats my next step the suncoast trick. i made up my mind my next truck will be a manual after the hell this tranny has caused me

Old 10-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well i took the battery cables off and let the computer reset itself and cleaned my batt. terminals. everything is ok as of now but as soon as someone reads this post it wall happen again. thats my next step the suncoast trick. i made up my mind my next truck will be a manual after the hell this tranny has caused me

Fun, isn't it!? I'm right there with you on the next truck having a manual. But, for what it's worth, after you get all these electrical issues figured out it's a non-issue.

From time to time, mine will start acting up a bit, especially if I haven't driven it for awhile.
Then I just do a few things like APPS reset with the peddle, check APPS voltage, disconnect PCM plugs (while batteries are unhooked of course), and that usually solves it.

Good luck man.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the problem returns in a short time (within a couple weeks) you probably still have a ground connection problem. My '99 did this for about 2 months, shortly after I got it (not new). First I thought it might be the batteries, since they were pretty old. Yeah!! all better!... for about a week. Then I just disconnected the batteries for a while, and reconnected them. Same thing. Fine for a week or so, then the lock-unlock-lock-unlock....
After that, I took every connector I could find apart, cleaned them, and reassembled with generous amounts of dielectric grease. It's been about 3 years now, and the problem hasn't repeated. I've also heard that a 'noisy' alternator can cause this, no matter how clean you get the connections. The filter (usually a capacitive coupler to ground*) would probably take care of even that, though I think the best solution would be to replace the (very expensive) alternator.
HTH
*Capictors will pass (couple) spikes and noise to ground, while pretty much ignoring the smooth DC.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:19 PM
TBD
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by bigred01
i have a 99 and when i put it in reverse and hit the throttle the torque converter unlocks and i go no where ..could this also be the problem or is it time for a new converter
that sounds like a valve body problem

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

all i can say is grounding the apps on mine fixed the problem and it was free, didnt even cut the factory wire just trimed back the insulation and soldered another wire to it

Last edited by TBD; 11-09-2009 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-14-2009, 05:23 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

well ima update this now... it was fine for a few weeks then started doin it again. so i got to pokin around and pulled on my drivers side ground wire on my batt. it felt loose so i crawled under the ole girl and found a ground wire that wasnt hooked up and it was frayed to beat hell. i could feel where the old ground bolt had rusted off and it musta been on there good enough to get good ground sometimes then not other times. cut and spliced the ground wire and reattached it to the frame. took it for a ride and had o/d off cause it locks the torque convertor with o/d off and it went clean down to 1000 rpms and was still locked in. so i figure its fixed now i cant think of any thing else it could be. Thanks for everyones help on here

Old 01-24-2010, 03:31 AM