24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Vp44 trouble

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vp44 trouble

i just installed an air dog 150 on my truck amd now my ip is giving me trouble at least i think it's the ip. my truck starts up fine but then it starts running bad and missing it blows white smoke out the exhaust and idles rough. it's showing the signs of a vp toasted but i still want some other insight and opinions on it.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:13 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

You need to run a OBDII scanner on it.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:17 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

When all else fails, pull the pump and take it into a Bosch service center. For $75 or around that they will bench test it and tell you for sure if it's bad and what is bad on it.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Diesel Fan

ok so i talked to the guy at the local bosch service center and i told him that the truck runs fine for about 10 mins then it starts the blowing white smoke. he said that the valve in the return line of the pump could be bad. i pulled it out and i can push down on the spring with ease is this normal?

Old 07-09-2009, 08:16 PM
BOMBARDIER

It's spose to have 14psi of pressure to open it so ya it don't take much. I don;t know any fancy science to test the theory here but I took a known good one and put a nail in it and pushed down on a scale and it took 4 pounds of pressure to open it. So that's been my way of testin since then.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Diesel Fan

yea he said to take a pressure reading off my new lift pump to make sure it's putting out the correct amount i told him that it's a brand new air dog. he said that the valve could be sticking open causing my truck to act like the ip is going out but what got him confused is that it's not doing it all the time. so i'm gonna take a pressure reading tomorrow and go from there.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 180 Likes on 149 Posts

A pressure reading is a start. Not to down you but some of the write ups on here with problems on the lift pumps have been when they drilled for the draw straw some of the shavens have clogged the filter or line on the airdog because it wasnt cleaned good. So if it is a psi problem you may want to start with the filters and check them out.If it is clean good. You cut the draw straw at a angle. Just going over the basics.If you didnt have a problem before you installed the airdog and now you do it has to be a good start.If you cycle the key and the airdog comes on and shuts off in about 2to3 seconds that is a good sign. You may want to check the supply line and make sure that is not clogged.Keep us informed what you fined.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:32 PM
Diesel Fan

i didn't think about the shavings but thats a good place to start and since my sending unit reads empty since i put it back in i need to pull the bed and check that out. i didn't cut the draw straw at an angle should i have? i did notice that the pump comes on and shuts off within 2 or 3 seconds when i cycle the key. thanks for the input i'll keep ya'll posted on what i find.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 180 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Heavyduty01
i didn't think about the shavings but thats a good place to start and since my sending unit reads empty since i put it back in i need to pull the bed and check that out. i didn't cut the draw straw at an angle should i have? i did notice that the pump comes on and shuts off within 2 or 3 seconds when i cycle the key. thanks for the input i'll keep ya'll posted on what i find.
In the airdog directions it saids to cut it at a angle.Remember you only need the filters on the airdog not the one that is mounded in the stock location to.Just a reminder.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:31 AM
BOMBARDIER

Better to drop the tank then raise the bed, this way you can check the tank out and clean it out if needed, no to mention it's much easier. Here's a quick guide. https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-val...-easy-way.html

Personally I bypassed my stock filter for a few years and have since hooked it back up. If you by pass it yu also lose your fuel heater and "Water In Fuel" Sensor. That was a costly mistake for me.

Quick Reply: Vp44 trouble