24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

How does this plan sound?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does this plan sound?

I have been reading this forum for close to a year. I joined at the beginning of the month. There is LOTS of useful information here. This site has helped me get to were I am as well as allow me to have a good plan of attack. I am doing my best to plan my upgrades in order to not destroy the next piece in line. I have done a few things already. I’m thinking that my next upgrade will be a 4” down pipe and 5” straight pipe followed by intake elbow and exhaust manifold. I think at that point, it will most likely be time for tranny upgrades or replacement. And the final steps (yeah right) would be head studs, a bigger turbo and 150 injectors. I rarely tow and hardly ever have a load in the truck. I do have a 19’ ski boat that I tow in the summers. I am hoping to achieve around 600 rwhp and roughly 1250 rwtq with these mods. Now for the questions. Does my plan sound reasonable? Anyone see something that I am missing? With my current mods, what would the max egt’s I should see? How about my temp gauge? I see it hit 205* a lot more often with the new LP. Should I worry? That’s all I’ve got for now. Awesome site! Great ethics! Happy to be apart of something good! Thanks for the input!

Old 06-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

A good exhaust and intake kit will allow your Cummins to breath better allowing you to drop some EGT's. As your transmission goes I would look into a Georend Trans or do a Suncoat VB, TC and Extreme Rebuild Kit. Do you injectors and turbo at the same time. Depending on what you do with your truck you might want to look into Compound Turbos especially if your looking for 600hp and your wanting to tow.

Luke

Old 06-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

welcome sounds like a good plain

Old 06-23-2009, 03:42 PM
Diesel Fan

Good. I guess this means that all this reading I have been doing here has been saved someplace in my head. Any additional thoughts about the EGT's or Coolant Temp?

Old 06-23-2009, 04:23 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Sounds like you have a good idea where your going.

If you want a 600 hp daily driver with a single charger, you might need some spray...at least some methanol.

Might also need to oring the head along with the studs.

Also, Im not sure how much fuel your lift pump can supply - what kind of pressure does it put out at WOT?

Glad you like the site Doc...

Old 06-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Banned
Received 3,297 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Welcome Fellow Bomber !

Old 06-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Also, Im not sure how much fuel your lift pump can supply - what kind of pressure does it put out at WOT?
Honestly, I have no idea. Quadzilla didnt have the fuel pressure portion of the Adrenaline operational when I purchased. Perhaps I should investigate if they have a fix for this yet and get it ordered. I will let you know when I find out.

At what temperatures do you guys start to worry in regards to the coolant and EGT's??

Old 06-23-2009, 06:10 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

150's and 600HP and a single turbo? Nope. High EGTs and poor driveability will be the rule here.

But before that, do the obvious stuff. You know you are going to need a trans. Lucky for you I build DTT trannys in you home town. So, we can get you taken care of there.

And of course you need to address the obvious stuff. Gauges, lift pump fix, ect. I would skip the intake as you will not see any additional power from it. Too many of us second genners over 600HP on the stock one. However, if you really want to change it out, go with the DTT intake. Like liquid chrome! A better filter is advised however. And here is where thinking of the future will help you.

To get to 600HP and be able to tow and daily drive you are gonna need bigger sticks. Our FireBallPro 200's make over 600HP with compounds. Since you'll need a top turbo any way you slice it, go with an HTT 62/65-13SS or 14. We have a twin kit that will make it possible to add a S400 or K31 under it. So, again, planning for the future. Also, on intakes, don't waste too much money on a fancy intake. Adapt the filter used for compounds or run a BHAF for now. Again. one less thing to buy.

The 5" exhaust makes sense. With or without a muff as it'll go right up to our 5" downpipe when you hang the twins.

And you did mention studs. I would put them in before doing any head work. If/ when you lose the head gasket, have the head machined o-ring the head.

Of course we have everything you will need at the shop and we install everything we sell. And it's probably close by to you. Give us a call and we'll get you squared away.

Dave

Vulcan Diesel Performance

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by Doc Diesel
Honestly, I have no idea. Quadzilla didnt have the fuel pressure portion of the Adrenaline operational when I purchased. Perhaps I should investigate if they have a fix for this yet and get it ordered. I will let you know when I find out.

At what temperatures do you guys start to worry in regards to the coolant and EGT's??
There is a sender available now. But I still prefer an analog gauge.

EGTs are going be thermonuclear without nitrous and or water/meth and forget towing with that kind of power. It will be a smoke monster at best. Again, compounds are the answer.

EGTs we want to stay below 1250* for prolonged periods and below that for a bit of safety margin for gauge error. Many of us see higher temps that that for short periods. My old twin set would yield 1500* and the new one limits to 1300* full tilt at the track.

Coolant temps are always an issue with more power. However, 205* is not bad. And if the temp cycles between 190*ish and 205* you most likely need a new thermostat. Mine stays on 190* and only moves up with the box on kill and a romp or two over 100MPH.

Dave

Last edited by Fishin2Deep4U; 06-23-2009 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The following users liked this post:
Dr. Evil (06-23-2009)
Old 06-25-2009, 04:12 PM
Diesel Fan

Sounds pretty sick,
I have a stock ford f350 with 7.3 but I wanna definatly bomb it out.
I think that cummins are awesome too tho. I would definetly go that route if I had a cummins.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:53 PM
Diesel Fan

Dr. Evil -
I am looking into the fuel pressure gauge. Perhaps someone else has the BD Max Flow and could give an accurate psi?!?! What ballpark figure of RWHP would you think I would have with these mods?

Fishin2Deep4U -
I looked at your website to see were you are located. Is your shop located at the contact address? If so, I drive by there weekly. Also, when you say you prefer an analog gauge, do you mean mechanical or electric? If you say electric, does it make a difference if the gauge is analog or digital? Also, with the mods I have done (see sig) what kind of life expectancy would you think my trans would have? (bought the truck with 59k, until the new lift pump (6.6.9) the chip was never in a level higher than 5. Currently at 83k.) Finally, my coolant is normally between 178*-185* and peaks at 205* during/after blowing past the kid with the honda. and I've never pushed the EGT's over 1300 for more than a second or two.

P.S. - I in no way will ever say its your fault since you said this would last a xxx,xxx miles, I am just looking for your honest opinion because idk. My dad has a 98 w/ V10 and he made it 165k miles before he needed a tranny. I do not think mine will last that long, but idk either.

Luke -
My goal is probably the same as most, a dependable daily driver that is a blast to drive. The only towing that I do is a little ski boat. Prob less than 4k GVW. No trouble for the current setup. I have heard nothing but greatness about Dave Goerend. Rumor has it that his trannies are superior and the customer service is phenomenal! As for the VB, TC and rebuild kit, are these things that you would say someone could do at home? or is this something a shop should do?

All -
I do appreciate all the insight and am looking forward to sharing my diesel bombs with you as I have been reading what you all have been sharing for sometime! My boss says I'm addicted to this site but he just calls em as he sees em!

Quick Reply: How does this plan sound?