24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

seatbelt

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 09:37 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Bringing this thread back to life!

My seat belts on my 98' have locked and I cannot get them to unlock! I am a very busy person so I have to drive it to get places and I am not comfortable not wearing my seat belt... Does anyone know a way to unlock it...

Old 04-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To unlock the seat belt you have to take the seat cover off. Start in the back and remove the grab handle on the back of the seat. Reach down the back of the seat and unclip the back cover from the front. It's the plastic spline at the bottom. Tilt the seat forward and try to pull out the belt either slowly or with small jerky pulls to get enough slack to take the cover off the top of the seat. Use a torx socket to remove the belt roller. unplug the solenoid and remove it. There is a small pin that activates the seat lockup. After years of pulling it too fast it gets bent a little. Bend it back and try it before you put the seat back together. It took me 5 tries over 3 months to get it to behave.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:36 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Would there be any negatives to removing the lock up part or switching out the seat belts with ones from my 94' Dodge?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

UPDATE*

I was able to take the seat apart exactly the way Ram904 explained it to me. Seat cover came right off to access the seat belt roll. It was mounted differently than I expected so the other seat belt styles would not mount up. I ended up just breaking all the locking mechanisms off so the seat belt can un spool itself, and then I re-assembled.

I can now use the seat belt, and I will not get a seat belt ticket now. How ever, it is not as safe as it was since it will not lock-up at all considering I removed the guts. That is something I will have to look into later, especially since my passenger seat belt is locked up as well and will need to have something done about that.

If anyone has any quick fix knowledge on how to preserve the locking mechanism while fixing it, I'm sure future Bombers would appreciate it. Looking it up on ALLDATA, I read that once the mechanism fails, there is no fixing it, only replacing it. If that info is incorrect, please correct me.

Last edited by Sudia247; 04-17-2013 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-17-2013, 09:42 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If both seat belts are locked up I would say its the module under the middle seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-17-2013, 10:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dieseldude848
If both seat belts are locked up I would say its the module under the middle seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Even if the two seats locked up 2 days apart from each other?

Old 04-17-2013, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts

Can you not replace the entire system with one out of 2000-02? Seems like that would be the way to go. It could be from a gas rig which are easier to find then a diesel in a junk yard most of the time.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:26 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by H.R.D
Can you not replace the entire system with one out of 2000-02? Seems like that would be the way to go. It could be from a gas rig which are easier to find then a diesel in a junk yard most of the time.
Yea that's what I was thinking of doing down the line. Do you know if the 2000 - 02' use any electronics? After I took the locking mechanism off the driver seat belt, my seat belt light is constantly on even when it's buckled up...

Old 04-18-2013, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by Sudia247
Yea that's what I was thinking of doing down the line. Do you know if the 2000 - 02' use any electronics? After I took the locking mechanism off the driver seat belt, my seat belt light is constantly on even when it's buckled up...
I believe, the only electronics they use are for the seat belt dummy light, and I a pretty sure those are in the buckle.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:25 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

So after removing both locking mechanisms, I later removed the Seat Belt dummy light, so my problems are fixed. Later when I have the chance I will buy some seat belts from 00' - 02' Dodge Just so they can be safe again.

Last edited by Sudia247; 04-20-2013 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:13 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Sudia247
Would there be any negatives to removing the lock up part or switching out the seat belts with ones from my 94' Dodge?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

UPDATE*

I was able to take the seat apart exactly the way Ram904 explained it to me. Seat cover came right off to access the seat belt roll. It was mounted differently than I expected so the other seat belt styles would not mount up. I ended up just breaking all the locking mechanisms off so the seat belt can un spool itself, and then I re-assembled.

I can now use the seat belt, and I will not get a seat belt ticket now. How ever, it is not as safe as it was since it will not lock-up at all considering I removed the guts. That is something I will have to look into later, especially since my passenger seat belt is locked up as well and will need to have something done about that.

If anyone has any quick fix knowledge on how to preserve the locking mechanism while fixing it, I'm sure future Bombers would appreciate it. Looking it up on ALLDATA, I read that once the mechanism fails, there is no fixing it, only replacing it. If that info is incorrect, please correct me.
Not sure about where you are but in NY it won't pass inspection if the belts don't lock.

Quick Reply: seatbelt