24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

HELP! Want to get the best for my buck....

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Want to get the best for my buck....

Ok, I've bugged you all a hundred times with questions and tips for my 01' 24v, and I think i have finally decided to make some huge purchases for some nice, big upgrades, soooooo now I ask for some opinions on which you feel would be the best route. First off, I'm dealing with the following: 01' 24v Cummins, 106,000 miles, 4x4, Quad-cab, Automatic. INSTALLED: MBRP 4" stainless dual exhaust turbo back, Edge Juice w/Attitude and Module, ATS 3-piece Exhaust manifold and ATS High-flow air intake, K&N Cold Air, and Bosch 300hp injectors. STILL TO INSTALL: FASS 95gph fuel pump. What I am currently looking at buying: ATS Aurora 3000 or 4000 dual ball barring turbo, ATS High performance billet transmission, Fluidamper, and if I need them, headstuds. I think with the current upgrades, I went from 283hp to roughly, 400+, but have yet to dyno and be sure, but thw 28th the NHRADA is coming to town, and for $75/3 runs, I will find out for sure. I'm after a solid 500hp or so, with use as an everyday driver, that will perform at the track if I choose to put it there from time to time, but still retain the look and functionability of a daily driver. So let me have it guys, what do you think and suggest????????

Old 03-08-2009, 07:59 PM
High Tech Redneck

Received 496 Likes on 397 Posts

Without a doubt transmission next... Any of the other mods above what you have now will not be fully utilized without it and leave you stranded sooner or later.... Look into Goerend transmissions, top notch stuff.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by Red_Rattler
Without a doubt transmission next... Any of the other mods above what you have now will not be fully utilized without it and leave you stranded sooner or later.... Look into Goerend transmissions, top notch stuff.
X2 or Suncoast

Old 03-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 504 Likes on 412 Posts

Like Red Rattler said tranny first then get that fass installed. And then some bigger injectors

Old 03-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

I too would agree looking into gorend or suncoast is a good choice, and how much does the ATS Aurora 3000 or 4000 run? You could also get a nice s300 to make your goal of 500hp too not sure how much you have in your budget.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Go RAVENS!!!!!!!!!
Received 229 Likes on 113 Posts

Just because ATS & Banks have the biggest ads in the mags doesn't make them the best.
I'd go for a Goerend Transmission Incorporated Or HTS, DTT or Suncoast.
My vote is for Goerends, best customer service you can get.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Diesel Fan

Well the ATS isn't a choice vecause of how big their ad might be, but because I have read and seen great reviews on them and their products, so its not about the name "scottsjeeprolet" if you were thinking that! As for Suncoast and Gorearend, I completely forgot of those. Price, well no one has tons to spare, but I believe in getting the best for each dollar, so Im good about researching and comparing prior to purchase, and if its the best deal, then I will pay. The Aurora 3&4000's are running thru XTD about $1200-1500. And as for the FASS it needs to be installed before or after the tranny wouldn't you think just so I can atleast NOT starve my pump with what I have now??? I may be wrong....But I agree the tranny first for sure..

Old 03-09-2009, 12:03 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

DTT for the trans.

Get the fuel system fixed, pick your poison.

ATS turbos? I would look real hard at II or HTT. All the ATS turbos I have seen lately are non wastegated. So, we have to build custom external gates to work with our twins. Honesty, it's cheaper and easier to have the gated turbos in the first place.

Dave

Old 03-09-2009, 12:07 AM
Diesel Fan

Hey fishing, thanks, i was unaware of the none wastegate apps, maybe i should just contact you and go from there....but thanks all the same i will check into all that you mentioned

Old 03-09-2009, 06:25 AM
Go RAVENS!!!!!!!!!
Received 229 Likes on 113 Posts

You can just call me Scott, just trying to help. Didn't know how new you were to the Diesel scene. A lot of the newbies tend to think the the guy with the biggest ads gotta be the BEST.
Do you homework and make your decisions based on your research. I know personally that Dave Goerend is the only tranny guy that will answer his phone on a Saturday when you have a problem. Never heard anything bad about them.
ATS on the other hand, good tranny, lots of guys run them, but warranty issues seem to be hard to get resolved.