24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

No Throttle Response & Died

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 10:08 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No Throttle Response & Died

Posting this for a friend of mine, he has a 2001 2500 6speed H.O. & I am trying to get him some possible answers or a starting point. 1st time it happened was cruising on interstate & he said the truck just went to idle knocked it out of gear & when he mashed throttle it stayed @ idle & wolud not rev. up. After trying it couple more times & of course he had pulled off side of road @ that point, he cut the truck off restarted & it took off & ran fine. He never had another occurence so he did`nt take it anywhere to get it checked out. Fastforward 6 months on the interstate again coming thru a tunnel on I-40 in Tennesee & it did it again except this time when he mashed the throttle it died & luckily was close enough to end of tunnel to coast just outside & get over before getting his *** run over by a big rig. Of course that got his attention, after a little bit it started & ran o.k., drove to a rest area pulled in @ which time a trucker that must have been behind him in the tunnel started to scold him until he found out what had happened. I know some of yall out there can probably give us some clues. Sorry to be so longwinded & THANKS for any help you can give.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Bombardier
Received 607 Likes on 502 Posts

first off what mods does he have done.

does it have any codes?

he needs a Fuel pressure gauge to make sure the vp-44 is getting fuel. the lift pump is notorious for going bad. he can do an APPS reset but i doubt that is the problem.

the quick and easy (not the preferred method) way to reset it is to remove the negative battery cables, turn the headlights on to drain power from everything. let it sit (lights shouldn't be on as the cables are disconnected) for 5 min or so. turn the lights back off, connect the battery cables. turn the ignition on but DO NOT CRANK. slowly press the accelerator pedal down completely to the floor. let it set there for a second, then slowly depress it to the idle position. turn the ignition off then crank the truck.

hope this helps.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:22 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

the first incident sounds like the APPS, the second incident sounds to me like a lift pump going bad. I had the same thing happen to me. My stock LP would randomly drop to 10psi and would tank to 2psi if I took it over 2k rpms.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:05 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

I'd reset the apps too.

But, It sounds like my situation right before it left me sitting. The lift pump was weak and could not supply the vp-44 enough fuel. Eventually it killed the vp-44....and left me sitting.

Tooling down the highway, the truck just shutdown, no throttle, no engine, nothing. I coasted to the side of the road and ended up towing it home. The lift pump was still working, but the vp was toast.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:10 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

He also needs to have his truck checked for codes. This is a good starting point. He didnt happen to change his fuel filter after the first incident?

Luke

Old 01-07-2009, 03:10 AM
BOMBARDIER

Truck is bone-, stock with the exception of an edge-ez. Also missed year model, it`s a 2002 model 6 speed . He has no gauges of anykind. I have a set boost,pyro,&fuelpressure mounted in painted to match gray A-pillar mount that are new. I had bought them for my previous truck which was a 2001 3500 4x4 H.O. & and another friend of our`s bought my truck before I got the install done.He may have changed the fuel filter , I`ll find out & let you guy`s know wednesday night when I get in from my shop what I find out.Seems like he did say something about a check engine light, is that something that I can check with my smarty jr. or not, also my egde insight is suppose to read codes, anyone know for sure? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Old 01-07-2009, 04:45 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

You can try to use the Smarty to read codes. I'm not sure if it will/won't work though. If you/he checks for codes, be on the look out for P0216. That's the death code for the VP44 and he will have to have it replaced.

Bosch VP44 Diesel Injection and Lift Pump for the 1998.5-2002 Dodge Cummins Diesel VP 44

Last edited by wildbill; 01-07-2009 at 04:52 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:05 AM
BOMBARDIER

Thanks wildbill for your response good info, I went ahead & printed it off for him. Ya`ll have a great day ya hear ,time to roll & pay them bills.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:25 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 108 Likes on 106 Posts

Your smarty should read the codes on his truck, otherwise you can do the key trick on an '02. Sounds like the APPS as well as a few other possible things. You need to stress to your friend that a fuel pressure gauge on a VP powered truck is an absolute must.
mishkaya

Old 01-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts

Most shops I'seen on the web say 5 PSi is good at WOT...

I tend to hold to the Cummins/Dodge standard...

Quick Reply: No Throttle Response & Died