24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

The light is blinking more

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The light is blinking more

So I just bought my truck about a month ago. Signed up here on the forums and found that the light next to my pyrometer is a fuel pressure light. Well.... It's starting to blink more often. It gets worse as the tank emptys. On a full tank I can keep the light off till about 2000 rpms.

Whats are my options for fixing this?
Is there a fuel filter that I can change?
I know a FASS or an Air Dog will fix it
what about a holley blue/black pump?

what would be the best solution (for the money) to fix this problem. Thanks guys

Old 11-19-2008, 04:12 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Get yourself a fuel pressure guage as soon as possible. Not doing so may cause you to lose the Injector pump (VP-44) and face a $1k+ repair.

The best fixes are an Airdog, FASS or RASP type pump. Holly blue is an option but they arent designed for diesel - some last for awhile most dont last very long - its a crapshoot and a waste of money, IMO. Holly black - same deal, not designed for diesel and puts out too much pressure if you still pnal on using the OEM style lift pump.

Yes, there is a fuel filter - and you should be changing the filter every second oil change. Heres the procedure for changing it:

http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/fil...uel_filter.htm

Old 11-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts

Get a fuel pressure gauge... I've also got a low pressure light and mine blinks when I'm on it hard. So at least you would know if you fuel pressure is good. Also my low pressure switch just gave up about 1 month ago and was leaking fuel.

What your seeing is the pulses of the VP44 and it will beat a low pressure switch in a short order too... I'm currently looking to replace mine with a adjustable Hobbs Switch and put it in after the needle valve to keep it from getting beat up...

So if you get a electric gauge you going to need a needle valve as well just to protect the fuel pressure sender from getting beat from the pulses...

Old 11-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Definetly get something to protect the sender! I trashed one in about 2 months because I didn't. I used the snubber fitting Autometer sells.

For pumps, Airdog and FASS and Glacier Diesel are good choices. IF your more of a do it yourself kind of guy you can put a system together with a Walbro pump for a little cheaper.

Just for kicks and giggles. If your not going to bomb your truck much an Airtex stock replacement that Carquest sells is pretty good. I've had one on my truck for a year now. The only problem is it doesn't move enough fuel for a bombed truck.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:00 PM
Diesel Fan

I will be bombing it soon. 5" and injectors are soon to come

what about something like these
http://dieseldawgs.com/product_info....oducts_id=1914
http://www.rollinsmokediesel.com/pd-...-fass-ddrp.cfm

Last edited by nosparkCummins; 11-19-2008 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:14 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

ive been wondering my self about those ddrp pumps i have full size fass but this is a great idea for guys keeping there trucks stock and just need a good pump,

I would recomend a 4" exhaust it will save you money and flow all ya need, but to each is own and get what ya want just givin ya some advice

Old 11-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by stkdram55
I would recomend a 4" exhaust it will save you money and flow all ya need, but to each is own and get what ya want just givin ya some advice
good advice I'm pretty new to the diesel stuff