24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Bucking

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 04:56 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Bucking

hey everyone,

im thinking its just the lift pump but wanted some other opinions. ususall under load with my quad 10 on level 2 or 3 i get bucking.. if i shut it off its normal. i know my lift pump is dying coz my fuel pressure is low but i dont let it go below 7. i want to get an airdog but dont have the extra cash right now. i may however get a stocker til i get the extra cash for the airdog. could this be anything else or am i correct witht the lift pump. also had truck scanned for codes and none pop up..

thanks

Old 08-18-2008, 08:08 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

If your runnin that quad with the stock lift pump you can bet that the bucking is from runnin the VP dry. The stock fueling system will not supply enough fuel to keep up with that box even on it's best day.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:13 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

is it only doing this with the box on? mine has been doing the same intermittent bucking with the box on or off. no codes at all and we have pinned it down to a bad TPS sensor. since it is intermittent and has nothing to do with box on or off. there is a number on the tag of the TPS that needs to match the voltage reading at the pcm. look at that and see if it will fix it but more then likely it will continue to get worse if it is the TPS. also is it at the same throttle position each time? and when it acts up if you lay into it or back off of it does it clear up?

John

Old 08-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Seems like almost all of quads products are known for bucking or jerking. I have the old school xzillaraider on my 99, doesnt matter if its on level 1 or level 3, anything past just a crack of the throttle and it bucks/surges like crazy. It did it before the walbro fuel system and it still does it holding at 19 psi. No codes or anything present and after we installed the injectors it seems to do it a little worse. We talked to quadzilla and explained what was going on. The response we got was "We can reflash your module but it may continue to surge, some trucks do it, some trucks dont."

Old 08-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

The TPS bucking is more of a total loss of power like someone shut the key off. a surge from a fueling box is more of a nuisance then anything. explain your bucking more if you can

John

Old 08-19-2008, 10:34 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll get a vid to show the bucking from a box and post it. My truck never bucks/surges with the box off.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:44 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

that would be great. i ran the same quad you have for awhile on mine and it surged also on my truck but the same box on a buddys truck didnt.

John

Old 08-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

so far from what i noticed it sounds like what u say jbarker

Old 08-19-2008, 05:19 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

if you need a new one buy it from cummins not dodge since they double the price and you will need to give then the engine serial number

John

Old 08-20-2008, 07:21 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

man i was in your shoes only with a completely stock 98.5 24 valve. when my stock lift pump wet to crap last october, it bucked like crazy, so since i was short on cash at the time, i replaced the lift pump with a stocker from a cummins dealer locally($150), with in 3 months, it was dead again after less then 5k miles, so they replaced it under warranty, that was january, in febraury, it went out again, right after i bought my edge juice(hadnt even installed it yet), so cummins relaced it again, well with the juice installed it lasted 2 weeks and which i got sick of replacing the dang thing and bought a FASS lift pump for 400 bucks, havent had a problem since. my advice is to get that airdog or whatever on there as soon as possible, who knows what damage i done to that injection pump on my old 98 by having to replacing that pump so many times.(i even changed the fuel filter 3 times a month during that period to keep pressure up)

Quick Reply: Bucking