24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Bucking

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 08:03 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is just keeping up with traffic.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

damn. thats pretty bad, mine will surge a little at idle but tjust barely, not enough to notice, and mines caused by 150 hp injectors, but that is really bad, thats why some many people are burning up injection pumps while using that chip, like i said, if you have already bought one, good luck, to those that havent, save your money and wait a few more months till quad gets the bugs worked out. im sure itll be a good product but right now, theres just too many issues with that product for me to even consider looking at it.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:50 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Only time its turned on is when cuttin up or racing (WOT basically). Other than that its never on. I fear of it messing up the pump so I just leave it off. With just the 150hp injectors it has plenty of power for daily driving.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Go RAVENS!!!!!!!!!
Received 229 Likes on 113 Posts

Ok so what i have with my truck is this. Under light throttle whether locked in 3rd or OD my truck will almost start to bounce. I replaced the tires and put on new shocks to no avail.
I was starting to lean towards an internal leak in the VB but now I'm wondering if it is the AD. It's not the TC because i can throttle out of the bounce or let off the accelerator and it goes away. I'm gonna turn off the AD tonight on the way home and see if it still does it. I'm running the 1000a tune PL2.
I really am starting to miss my Smarty/ Comp stack.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:23 PM
Diesel Bomber

update please?? hope turning it off helped

Last edited by dukeboy_318; 08-21-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

so far im thinking jbarker is correct being the tps. but havent had a chance to mess with truck til this weekend.

thanks everyone

Old 08-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Diesel Bomber

i hope not, either way, i think its adrenaline related/caused

Old 08-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

UPDATE:
well today got out and played with my truck.. i disconnected batteries and waited half hour and did apps reset, cleaned terminals, went over programmer wires. it took most of the bucking out it does it very little i noticed with chip on which i think is do to the lift pump. so soon as i get the cash airdog it is..... thanks all

Old 08-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

Good Deal

Old 08-23-2008, 11:32 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That reset really dosent work as permanent fix. this si the only way to check and reset it and if it is a bad sensor it will still need to be replaced.

This will help Here you go

RESETTING THE APPS SENSOR.
(ACCELERATOR PEDAL POSITION SENSOR)
2ND GENERATION 24 VALVE TRUCKS ONLY.

LIST OF TOOLS NEEDED

DIGITAL VOLT METER
# 20 TORQUE BIT SOCKET
# 1 PHILLIPS
# 10 MM SOCKET

Proper service and repair procedures are vital to ensure personal safety of those performing the repairs. Standard safety procedures and precautions should be followed at all times to eliminate the personal injury or improper service, which could damage the vehicle or compromise its safety.
Although this material has been prepared with the intent to provide reliable information, no liability is assumed in reliance of this material.

It has come to my attention that a lot of people think by disconnecting & re-connecting the batteries and stepping on the throttle it is going to reset the apps, no, that is not correct. It is impossible to adjust your apps if you do not know where it is supposed to be set at. That is why you need the voltmeter.

This is the procedure I use to re-set the apps.

With the key on, engine off you need to probe the apps wire to see where your voltage is currently set at.
The best location to probe the wire is on the PCM (power control module) which is located off the passenger side of the firewall.

• You want the C1 connector, this is the connector closest to the engine,
• You want the orange wire with the dark blue tracer which is pin # 23
• Voltage should read somewhere around 0.5 volts,
• At this point the voltage reading does not matter, it just has to be accurately written down for later reference.

*** TURN THE IGNITION OFF ON THE TRUCK ***

Resetting the APPS Sensor cont. page 2
(Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor)
2nd generation 24 valve trucks only.

• The apps sensor is located slightly above and a little to the left of the injection pump.

• Remove the black plastic cover that is located by your injection pump.

The two screws that are holding it are plastic, do not put any downward pressure on them or you will never get them off.

• Un do the 6 - 10 mm headed bolts that hold the bracketry in place.
(DO NOT REMOVE THE CABLES)

You will notice the apps is on the back of the bracketry that you just removed, it is held in place by 2 - 20 bit screws. These screws have a little bit of locktite on them so make sure you have a good socket and gently give a little tap with a hammer before attempting to loosen. Be very careful these screws strip very easily and you only get one shot at them.

• On the apps you will find a white tag that gives you the information on what the apps adjustment should be.

• After loosening the screws you can rotate the apps both clockwise and counter clockwise to get the adjustment you need.

• The reading you took at the beginning of the process on pin # 23 should match the white tag on your apps, if not adjust accordingly.

The following users liked this post:
dukeboy_318 (08-24-2008)