24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Troubling DTC

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Troubling DTC

I recently hooked my Snap-on Ethos up to my dads truck which is a 98.5 24-valve, hrvp44, quad adrenaline, F1 Mach VI++ and a SPS66. It showed some disturbing codes. Also some on the transmission which we are also having trouble with. But first the engine codes.

P1691 Fuel Injection Pump Controller Calibration Failure, which i have no clue what that means

P0217 Decreased Engine Performance Due To Engine Overheating Condition, i am not sure if dad up at carlisle in the burnout contest if it over heated or not.

Then the transmission, it is an auto,

P1762 Governor Pressure Sensor Offset Improper Voltage

P1763 Governor Pressure Sensor Voltage Too High

I believe this means the governor pressure sensor is bad. When the truck is not running the Governor pressure sensor shows 102psi. which cant be right.

It is currently running fine, just the transmission being in Limp mode.

I am just wondering what the problem(s) could be.

Thanks
Cody

Old 08-18-2008, 04:05 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

yeah i hate to tell ya but all data says if the truck throws a p1691 code its time for another vp pump, that sucks i know

the p1763 is a result of of the p1762 code and that says for the 62 the park/neutral switch could be bad along with a whole bunch of other stuff including burnt trannt fluid.

the p0217 i would replace the ECT sensor (engine coolant temp) ,that could just be a stored code and just needs deleted from the ECM with your scanner too

hope that helps sorry about your pump

Old 08-18-2008, 09:14 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

well i know we are going to change all the sensors in the pan, and we noticed the reverse lights sometimes dont work, which would be the park/neutral switch. So we will replace all of the electric sensors and the fluid. o BTW the trans is a fully built DTT with Billet input and output shafts, and we are running Amsoil Supershift transmission fluid.

Now on to the VP44. here is my question. we recently purchased the quad adrenaline, could that have killed our IP. It has a fair serving of surge problems. Quad sent us special HRVP44 tunes, and they helped a little but still not like our Edge Comp was, that had no surge at all. Not bashing or blameing them just an honest question. o and we always run our chips on the highest level all the time, this way the power is only a push of the pedal away.

I just wonder if going back to a stock IP will cure the surge problems, or i wonder if the quad only brought to light the IP being bad. so many questions so little answers

Thanks for the help so far. I geuss we'll be getting a Monster pump next, or we'll just p-pump it and get rid of all the electric BS

Cody

Old 08-18-2008, 09:19 PM
Bombardier
Received 607 Likes on 502 Posts

what kind of lift pump do you have? stock or aftermarket like an AirDog?

Old 08-18-2008, 09:21 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Fass 150/95 holds 20psi alllllll the time.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:30 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

thats strangethen i cant believe the IP is out if you have a good LP on it, did the old IP go bad is that why youswitched to the hrvp, if so that could be a stored code from the last one, just suggestions

Old 08-19-2008, 08:26 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

yea i wish but the hrvp44 is almost 3 yrs old. yea im confused too. now the controller, is that the little computer on the top of the IP that u tap the wire in?

I still wonder if all the surge problems we've been having is a continuing issue that the quad. adrenaline brought to light or if it actually killed it. becuase when it does surge you can hear the change in the sound of the IP, thats the only thing that changes drastically in sound.

Last edited by Cumminsdieselboy; 08-19-2008 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

what tune are you running on the adrenaline? does it surge when the box is off. i would clear all the codes since they may be old codes from past problems and then see what new ones come up. some of the beta tunes will surge due to trying to fuel more aggresivley then the tps is telling it to. they even state that on the website for the beta tunes.

John

Old 08-19-2008, 11:38 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

the adrenaline has been causing alot of failures, particularly with other upgrades done to the fuel system(aka the hot rod), if i were a betting man, id say that the adrenaline screwed up the electronic calibration of the VP44, meaning itll still run, just not a well as it should, what itll do is skip a fraction of a second and throw the whole timing thing out of whack. the adrenaline done this on my buddies truck, those things are junk, ill never buy one until they have a few years to tweak the bugs

Old 08-19-2008, 01:28 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

as for the tune we are running a special one, so to speak, that justin sent me; a special HRVP44 tune. other than surging, the truck runs awesome, the most power the truck ever had. even more power than our old drag comp.

i was afraid the Adrenaline killed her, we'll drive her till she dies.

Thanks

Cody

Quick Reply: Troubling DTC