Fuel Pressure too high... Engine dies - Diesel Bombers

24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2018, 10:22 PM

Default Fuel Pressure too high... Engine dies

My 2000 5.9 4x4 is approaching 220,000 miles and has been fairly faithful. I had replace the VP44, and then upgraded my lift pump when my fuel pressure gauge indicated the old pump the PO put on was dying. I replaced a Universal style pump with a FASS DDRP. All was well, until one day as Im leaving my house the truck stumbles and dies. I check the grounds for some reason, hop back in and she start back up. This happens sporadically, until i realize that when i start it, sometimes the fuel pressure pegs the gauge out at 30 PSI, and shortly after that the truck dies.

It finally left me stranded, and I parked the truck, driving it much less. I had "fixed" the problem several ways including tapping on the DDRP, Opening and closing the drain valve on the fueld filter housing, and making sure my battery cables were tight.

After endless googling, I have no idea what is causing the problem. I cant readily replicate it. Im not even sure if my "Fixes" are doing anything. I really want to get this thing back into tip top shape and throw a few grand at it to get it bulletproof for at least another 50K.

Any Ideas?
Old 10-08-2018, 10:43 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

First things first-Adjust the fuel pressure on the FASS down to 15psi.

Then give us an update and we"ll give you a more comprehensive list to chase down.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:51 PM

Crawler,

the lift pump is a FASS DDRP, I do not believe it has fuel pressure adjustments like the bigger better models. I believe it is just a spring regulator in the pump housing. This is why I tapped on the pump hoping to maybe unstick a spring that was stuck?

« 5.9 transplant | - »