24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

RPM hunting and dead pedal

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 02:15 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM hunting and dead pedal

2001 RAM 3500, Cummins 5.9L, Automatic

RPM wanders at idle or even driving. Does not do this all the time, but more likely when engine is hot - like after getting off an interstate. Sometimes goes dead pedal. Often problem (including dead pedal) disappears for a while after shutting the engine off for 30 seconds.

Suspected APPS/TPS problem, but measured APPS output voltage (pin 3/green wire) - looks normal. 0.66 volts at idle, moves very smoothly up to 3.71 volts at full throttle (engine off), and back smoothly to the 0.66 volts as throttle is let back off. Typical range is supposed to be 0.60 to 3.8, I've read. Pretty close.

Here are the codes:
P0606 - PCM processor falult
P0216 - Injection Timing control circuit malfunction
P0222 - Position sendor switch B circuit low input
P0121 - Pedal position sensor C circuit range/perf

P1693 - What is this one?

Since APPS "looks good", what else could cause this problem?

Also have long term problem (about a year) where engine often goes dead pedal until engine warms up for 5-10 minutes. Restarting engine corrects the dead pedal, but often comes back until engine finishes warming up. I had the injecting pump replaced over a year ago, but dead pedal issues came back after a month.

Suggestions?

thanks,
Jack

Old 04-28-2016, 11:52 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

P1693 is Fault in companion mode
cause:

1. Update control unit software - Check for the latest control unit update
2. Powertrain or Engine Control Module faulty
3. Battery voltage low

The things I would check are:
1. both batteries individually for a dead cell.
2. clean bat cables and grounds
3. Check wiring harness from the PCM on the side of the block to the VP pump for a damaged wire from where someone tapped it for a programmer. Also the connections at each end of that harness.
4. Fuel pump

Old 04-30-2016, 01:02 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks, Jet - I'll check that as soon as I have time.

How do I check and update the control unit software? Is the "control unit" the PCM or ECM?

Originally Posted by Jet A Fuel
P1693 is Fault in companion mode
cause:

1. Update control unit software - Check for the latest control unit update
2. Powertrain or Engine Control Module faulty
3. Battery voltage low

The things I would check are:
1. both batteries individually for a dead cell.
2. clean bat cables and grounds
3. Check wiring harness from the PCM on the side of the block to the VP pump for a damaged wire from where someone tapped it for a programmer. Also the connections at each end of that harness.
4. Fuel pump

Old 05-31-2016, 06:19 PM
Default Similar problem

1999 Ram 2500, 5.9 Cummins 5 speed manual

I'm having a similar problem. I do not have a voltage meter, last one took a **** and haven't replaced it yet. Anyways, I get "dead pedal" very often, always in a city setting, driving in lower speed limits. Between 30 to 45 mph.

I've tried the tps/apps reset (in short, unhook pos battery cable, turn on ignition to run position and turn on lights to kill all power, then turn both off and hook battery back up. Finally resetting tps/apps using pedal) but it only worked for a while, maybe a few weeks to a month....now it doesn't help at all. Could my tps/apps be shot, or could it be something else?

Thanks everyone!

EDIT:

Also, a weird thing started happening the last week maybe. The airbag dummy light comes on while driving. Sometimes will go off after driving a while, but not always. Happens even if all seat belts are buckled....also happens when I'm alone in the truck, with seatbelt on.

Last edited by 2ndGenLover; 05-31-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:37 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by 2ndGenLover
1999 Ram 2500, 5.9 Cummins 5 speed manual

I'm having a similar problem. I do not have a voltage meter, last one took a **** and haven't replaced it yet. Anyways, I get "dead pedal" very often, always in a city setting, driving in lower speed limits. Between 30 to 45 mph.

I've tried the tps/apps reset (in short, unhook pos battery cable, turn on ignition to run position and turn on lights to kill all power, then turn both off and hook battery back up. Finally resetting tps/apps using pedal) but it only worked for a while, maybe a few weeks to a month....now it doesn't help at all. Could my tps/apps be shot, or could it be something else?

Thanks everyone!

EDIT:

Also, a weird thing started happening the last week maybe. The airbag dummy light comes on while driving. Sometimes will go off after driving a while, but not always. Happens even if all seat belts are buckled....also happens when I'm alone in the truck, with seatbelt on.
i had something similar happen to me a while back, truck would drive fine down the high way, but i get off the high way and at low speeds it would dead pedal, i changed it out with a used one (didn't have the money for a new one) and it worked for a good while but it started making my truck high idle after driving on the high way for a few mins, finaly yesterday it went out and i was stuck at home, luckly, i finally replaced it with a whole new APPS and i drove it around for 3-4 hours today and havnt had a problem yet, hopfully wont have one, but a new APPS/TPS should fix your problem

Old 05-31-2016, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by 02cummins95
i had something similar happen to me a while back, truck would drive fine down the high way, but i get off the high way and at low speeds it would dead pedal, i changed it out with a used one (didn't have the money for a new one) and it worked for a good while but it started making my truck high idle after driving on the high way for a few mins, finaly yesterday it went out and i was stuck at home, luckly, i finally replaced it with a whole new APPS and i drove it around for 3-4 hours today and havnt had a problem yet, hopfully wont have one, but a new APPS/TPS should fix your problem
02cummins95, awesome! Thanks a lot, I'll have to try it and see. I found a few that aren't too expensive, around $100-$150.

Let me ask you this, if you have a manual, when I'm driving in the city/lower speeds, I found that if I push in my clutch and try to rev up a little bit from idle speed, it goes away for a few min then comes back. Did that happen to you, or do you have an auto?

Old 05-31-2016, 11:26 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by 2ndGenLover
02cummins95, awesome! Thanks a lot, I'll have to try it and see. I found a few that aren't too expensive, around $100-$150.

Let me ask you this, if you have a manual, when I'm driving in the city/lower speeds, I found that if I push in my clutch and try to rev up a little bit from idle speed, it goes away for a few min then comes back. Did that happen to you, or do you have an auto?
i have a 6 speed, if your talking about high idle, mine got up from anywhere to 900-1200 rpm and would not drop unless I turned the truck off for about 60 secs, ran fine on the highway OR at highway speeds, but soon as I got back down to around 30-40 mph it would be idled high, but at dead pedal SOMETIMES I was able to let the truck sit for a little bit and start it up and it would drive fine for about 30 mins, but eventually it went completely out and pedal had no effect, hope that answers your question!

Old 11-18-2018, 02:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default finally the fix

Originally Posted by jackmccarron

RPM wanders at idle or even driving. Does not do this all the time, but more likely when engine is hot - like after getting off an interstate. Sometimes goes dead pedal. Often problem (including dead pedal) disappears for a while after shutting the engine off for 30 seconds.

Suspected APPS/TPS problem, but measured APPS output voltage (pin 3/green wire) - looks normal. 0.66 volts at idle, moves very smoothly up to 3.71 volts at full throttle (engine off), and back smoothly to the 0.66 volts as throttle is let back off. Typical range is supposed to be 0.60 to 3.8, I've read. Pretty close.

Here are the codes:

Also have long term problem (about a year) where engine often goes dead pedal until engine warms up for 5-10 minutes. Restarting engine corrects the dead pedal, but often comes back until engine finishes warming up. I had the injecting pump replaced over a year ago, but dead pedal issues came back after a month.

Suggestions?

thanks,
Jack

Old 11-18-2018, 02:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default finally the fix

Originally Posted by jackmccarron

Here are the codes:

Suggestions?

thanks,
Jack

negative lead from passenger side battery, routed by alternator which gives off frequency, causing ecm/pcm disturbance...... take outta wiring harness, route away from alternator, and send me ty note.... took me 6 years figure out.... no problems in over 6 months