24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

New Fass pump and VP44, still no fuel to lines

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Fass pump and VP44, still no fuel to lines

Originally truck wouldnt start, one day it started and idled weird for a few seconds and ran great all day through many start ups and driving. Next day it didnt start at all. turned over but didnt crank. I tried bleeding my lines(1, 3 and 4) got 0 fuel to 1 and 3 and very little to line 4, not as much as it should have though. Noticed my fuel pump wasnt wasnt running when I bumped starter so I put in a Fass 95 gph Titanium pump running off of a fuel sump. Still same problems, no fuel to lines 1 and 3 and little to 4. I then replaced by VP and still same problem, I tried bleeding VP through cracking the overflowvalve and I got some small bubble of fuel but it wasnt spraying or anything. I didnt check the lines when replacing VP(probably a big mistake) but I didnt think that overnight 2 of my lines got completely clogged and another line got somewhat clogged and wasnt letting all the fuel through so I just passed over it. I cant think of what could possibly be the issue except im not getting the fuel pressure I need but my Fass runs when I try to start it or bump starter, I can hear it going. So I think I either got faulty equipment or I installed wrong. I also dont really know how to test fuel pressure, especially since most of the ones you buy are probably meant for stock applications but my FASS fittings are different than stock ones. Im literally all ears at this point at what it could possibly be or if anyone is running the same setup and has some things to look out for. Im $2,000 in the hole between new VP and Fass so im ripping hair out at this point. Anything would help guys, how to accurately check my fuel pressure or anything.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:00 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Is the fass still running through the stock fuel filter or is it direct to vp? How cold is it , maybe gelled fuel? Take the fuel line loose between fass and engine and stick it in a bucket and bump the starter to see your fuel flow. If low flow check the wiring on fass may be backwards. If good disconnect wiring from the stock lift pump wires and run a wire direct from battery and check flow. If still low flow it's either blockage in the tank or a bad fass.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:22 AM

No the Fass runs directly to the VP, and yea ill give that a try

Old 02-10-2017, 11:23 AM

and its pretty warm weather, in 60 and 70s and I just recently went to gas station and filled up some fuel containers and put new fuel in it

Old 02-15-2017, 10:07 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

doesnt mean you dont have a clog before the fas. i agree with the get a can, and see if the fas is pumping or if its restricted from pulling. you may have something down line.