24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Cummins Guru's. I Got Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 08:15 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cummins Guru's. I Got Questions

So long story short, both main seals started leaking and engine was pretty low on oil. I now have a knock in the oil pan and I'm hoping its just rod bearings. ill know more this weekend when i pull the pan but i have a few q's. the motor has 263K and its got a 62/65 ,150's, and an edge. would i be better of buying a complete rebuild kit and doing it all (included crank being turned of course) or just fix the problem (if it doesn't need a rebuild). i do plan on compounding this truck and i don't plan on selling due to the simple fact i will never get what i put into it.i also would be doing the work myself as i cannot afford to pay someone and the simple fact that knowledge is worth more than money. so any tips on pulling a motor would be awesome too. On a side note if i do rebuild i wanna build kinda a bada** motor. i would like to put springs and pushrods in it and run a 4K box by quad. would stock retainers and keepers work with upgraded springs? do i even need pushrods? and is a 4k even street friendly or worth it? sorry for so many questions I'm just trying to figure out a game plan. i have lost my DD and with school and work and a dwindling money supply, well its gonna be interesting. thanks guys.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:38 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great questions , im in for answers............let me get my chair and popcorn.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:28 AM
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Okay. I'll be straight forward, and honest.

You need to stop. Take 3 steps back, and really give this some thought. What do you want out of this engine.
Cheap?
Powerful?
Reliable?

Make your choice. But only pick two, because you can't have three. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.
Want badass? 10k
want cheap? 1k-1.5k
want reliable? 3-5k

when you start mixing things up figured will change, the more powerful, the more expensive.
Powerful and cheap? Less reliable.

It sounds like to me like you need cheap are reliable.

You dont need a built engine to make a 500hp DD street truck.

So, you tell me what you really want. And give me a hp goal, I will tell you how to get there.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:22 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

I wouldn't use the 4K quad box for a daily driver. The new V2 tuning they have out is amazing. If you are going to rebuild the bottom end you might as well do the whole thing. If you have been running low on oil you most likely starved the rest of the motor. But rebuilding should be done with quality parts not the cheapest parts available.