24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help

I have a couple issues that I would appreciate a little input on. First is I've had a stutter or miss with my truck. It happened after I drove somewhere between 150-200 miles. Truck ran great then I started noticing a slight stutter, then a short time later it became a pretty hard miss (for lack of a better term). The regrettable part is I do not know what the fuel pressure was doing when this happened because the gauge had just failed. It was pegged on max with the truck keyed off, keyed on, or engine running. Got it back home, after having it towed the last 100 miles or so. Installed a new gauge (another electric one). I have an AirDog on it, and I'm idling at 26-27 psi, which seems high to me. So with all this going on I have been reluctant to drive the truck until I know I have decent fuel pressure. I'm getting ready to go with a mechanical gauge, after talking to AirDog tech.

I guess what I am looking for input on is why would the pressure be so high, and has anyone else ran into this running problem? It idles great, but once it started getting under load it acted up. If it sat for a couple hours it would run fine again until you put a few hundred miles on it. My thinking is that as it got heat built up in it the AirDog started to cut out. I may be totally wrong here, but if it was the injection pump going out it would be consistent. I thought about injectors too, and I've read on here about people having cam sensor issues. When it was stumbling so bad I did not notice the tach not working. It did jump around some, but the engine was falling on it's face, so that's to be expected. My cheap code scanner, and using the key method did not show any codes.

Also curious where other people that are running AirDogs are tapping into the fuel lines for their gauges. I replaced the filters on the AirDog when this started just in case, and figured it was a cheap part to try.

Thanks for any advice.

Trucks an 01 Cummins. I have the Bosch RV 275 injectors.