24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Flare heater pipes for heater core?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 02:07 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flare heater pipes for heater core?

Most have seen the good write-ups of how to replace the heater core without disturbing the a/c etc. by cutting the pipes and connecting rubber hoses...thing is when the pipes are cut they are no longer flared and water leaks are then hard to prevent...so my question is #1. why can't the pipes from the new heater core be cut and taken to a shop to be flared before installation to stop leaks and #2. wouldn't it be better to run the rubber hose all the way thru the firewall to the engine and therefore using less clamps/connections to leak?...

Old 11-01-2016, 04:02 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

As a person that has done the "cheater" way to replace the heater core. I haven't had any issues with water leaks or anything. You could flare them if you wanted. I do like your idea of the hoses running all the way to the engine. If you could fit them through the firewall I don't see why you couldn't.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:50 AM
Diesel Fan

Tx. ghOstman...I wanted to ask what kind of clamps you used on your heater core pipes ...one guy used regular hose clamps from AutoZone and they started leaking so was wondering if yours were a different type... will be cold soon here in The Blue Ridge Mountains of Ga....

Old 11-01-2016, 06:54 AM
Diesel Wrench

I used regular hose clamps. The thing to do is to make sure you don't crimp the end of the metal pipe installing the hose or tightening the clamps. I also ran it (hose) up the metal pipe further for just such an event.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:23 AM
Diesel Fan

Oh! gh0stman...I hadn't thought about running the hose farther up the pipe...I really like that...good idea...wonder then if two clamps side by side would help since there would be room...one guy said he made sure the adjustment screws on the clamps were turned in such a way that if a leak were to occur he could remove the glove box and tighten them from there...don't know if that works though.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:43 AM
Diesel Wrench

Im sure the double clamp would work but don't see a need for it. Not that much pressure in the system to make my one per leak.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:07 AM
Diesel Fan

Tx gh0stman...pushing the hose farther down the pipe is a good suggestion and I will do it that way too...