24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Upgraded In Tank Lift Pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 08:53 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgraded In Tank Lift Pump

I am replacing my VP 44 and fuel filter which I just got in and need to replace the in-tank lift pump as well...I am 80 and live on SS so can't afford the FASS system after buying the VP44...I can't seem to find an upgraded in-tank lift pump that will give me enough pressure to protect the VP 44 in the future... I checked the Thoroughbred Diesel site and the guy told me since I had an in-tank lift pump that the Fass DDRP would not be a good choice for me...I asked why and he said it would be too much trouble because FASS designed it to replace the bolt on lift pump. on the frame...much obliged to all in advance.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:11 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

The in tank pump is about as much as a joke as the original carter pump. To replace the current pump with anything else you will need a draw straw or sump to bypass the original in tank pump.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:43 AM
Diesel Fan

I've got a real problem gh0stman haven't I...guess I'll have my current fuel pressure checked (pump may still be good so far) and save up for a better way to protect that VP44...thanks for your knowledgeable input I really appreciate it.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:51 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

The DDRP is a good replacement for a stock truck. But your best insurance will be a fuel pressure gauge.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:23 AM
Diesel Fan

Yes...I have a gauge sitting here on my desk ready to be installed but alas the company failed to include the snubber valve I ordered with the gauge so it will be another few days but I don't plan to move the truck until the gauge is installed because I have the new (reman) VP44 already installed and don't want to chance blowing it...tx gh0stman.