24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

More problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 01:13 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by gh0stman
Never worked when I have ever tried it. Always took a code reader to clear mine. Unless the fault was corrected, but then sometimes it still took a code reader. But all these trucks have different personalities. And respond differently to different things. But is he already has a scanner why not just clear them and see what comes back.
For sure code reader would be best. When I was code reader poor I used to use the CEL for diagnostics. I think the batt disconnected for like 30 min will even show up as a code on some vehicles. Most codes that set a CEL will return in most cases if I remember correctly but it helps get rid of the soft codes.

24 Valve do you have a code reader?

Old 09-17-2016, 11:24 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm hoping it's the CPS but it looks like the lift pump as well the sensor is covered in grease as is most of my timing cover and my code reader is a cen tech from harbor freight I'm not sure if it can clear codes but I'll read the manual I'm not sure where the grease is from but I found some old receipts
in my glove box with the truck book for a right hub seal replacement apparently the truck had to be towed and the other receipts were for a steel bumper and brush guard but the original bed is long gone as i bought it with the flatbed this sucks I'll have to wait till next month to aquire funds for the parts and I'm thinking maybe I should buy a vp44 with ddrp pump from thoroughbred in case of any other malfunctions but as for now I've been using told ford to get to work I appreciate yall advice and I'll be keeping yall posted!!

Old 09-17-2016, 11:25 AM
Diesel Fan

I forgot to mention I also disconnected my batteries for 30 minutes too but the codes were there still should they have gone away or can they only be erased w u think the reader?

Old 09-17-2016, 12:52 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by 01 24v
I forgot to mention I also disconnected my batteries for 30 minutes too but the codes were there still should they have gone away or can they only be erased w u think the reader?
I wanted to disconnect the batteries so that any codes that were stored from intermittent non relevant CEL codes would be erased. The code will then still be present in the event a system is faulty from a bad sensor,wiring, etc.

If there is a fault the code will be regenerated every time the key is turned no matter how many times you clear it even with a code reader.

I also wanted to let you know that i think 2000 was the last year for the crank sensor and they went to a cam sensor after that to my knowledge.
Crank sensor was in the side of the block left side i think. and the cam sensor is up on the head.

The following users liked this post:
01 24v (09-21-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 09:06 PM
Diesel Fan

Went out to get a fuel filter today looks like the lift pump is out still need a fuel gauge everything is real greasy under there all over wires and etc is there any low cost lift pumps till i can get a new one as well as a cps sensor hoping new job calls me soon been putting in apps over town. Thanks guys ill try and post pics tonight!

Attached Thumbnails More problems-20160921_183745.jpg   More problems-20160921_183629.jpg  
Old 09-22-2016, 04:03 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

I would look at a DDRP lift pump from fass. It should hold you over for a while. I wouldn't get a stock replacement pump, just a waste of money.

The following users liked this post:
Jet A Fuel (09-22-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 08:31 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gh0stman
I would look at a DDRP lift pump from fass. It should hold you over for a while. I wouldn't get a stock replacement pump, just a waste of money.
X2