24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

high temp!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 11:32 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high temp!!

was running my 02 2500 cummins down the highway with a 30 ft flatbed goose neck (unloaded) noticed my temp gauge was getting hot (I knew it would) BUT I got loaded with a skid steer, not sure on weight prolly 6-8 thousand pounds and all the way home truck was running almost red lining on the temp gauge, running around 75-78 mph I slowed down to around 65-70 mph and it didn't really help, was thinking about a getting a new intercooler when I get the money, what else will help keep the heat down while towing?

TIA!

Old 05-31-2016, 04:16 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why did you know that it would get hot? What is done to the truck? It should be able to tow that load all day long without any issues.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:43 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

How long has it been since you replaced the thermostat? Maybe its not opening all the way.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:23 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by six speed
Why did you know that it would get hot? What is done to the truck? It should be able to tow that load all day long without any issues.
i knew it would get a little warm because it was a hot day but i was in a little hurry to get to the yard so i was pushin about 85mph on the way, just has straight pipe, edge juice w/attitude CTS, airdog 165gph fuel pump. it wasn't bad the way there but just the way back it almost red lined so i slowed down a lot from 75mph but it didn't seem to help the temp

Old 05-31-2016, 09:29 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by gh0stman
How long has it been since you replaced the thermostat? Maybe its not opening all the way.
is there a way to tell if it is or isn't opening all the way?

Old 06-01-2016, 04:32 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

The only way I know for sure to test it is to remove it from the vehicle and hit it with a heat gun. You will see it move if it doesn't open all the way theres your problem. I would also look at the radiator. With the CCV being right behind the fan oil vapor gets slung into the radiator clogging the cooling vents. If that's the case re-route the CCV to behind the motor (not hard with PVC and tubing) and pull the radiator and pressure wash it.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:26 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by gh0stman
The only way I know for sure to test it is to remove it from the vehicle and hit it with a heat gun. You will see it move if it doesn't open all the way theres your problem. I would also look at the radiator. With the CCV being right behind the fan oil vapor gets slung into the radiator clogging the cooling vents. If that's the case re-route the CCV to behind the motor (not hard with PVC and tubing) and pull the radiator and pressure wash it.
ill look into that today! thanks!