24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!

I have a 01 dodge diesel 2500 4x4.....The check engine light has came on and off the last few weeks and it only threw that companion code p1693. Then I went to drive it down the road and my truck started acting up bad. I would like to describe it as a hard loping and it felt the same as it sounded. I would press on the gas and it would drive but it had very little power. I asked my neighbor to put the scan on it and it came up with the code P0237 plus the P1693. So to make a long story short, I changed the map sensor and drove it for about 5 min. and it ran fine but you could tell there was still something wrong alittle bit, then it acted back up. So I returned that map sensor and got another one and I drove it for a good 20 min. plus on the hwy and roads and it ran fine but when I let off the gas pedal at times it almost made the same sound as the blow off valve but one after another then it would stop making sound and feeling then I would get on it again and it would be fine but then I would try again it would act up again. then I drove home and went to leave again and it started acting up at low speeds again. No codes though and now I am just stumped. I took out the new map sensor and just put the old one back in since I am still having that problem. What should I do now? I am trying really hard not to take it anywhere to pay to find the problem. Should I put the new map sensor back in and reset the APPS?

Last edited by 01dodgegirl; 03-04-2016 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:32 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well your P0237 code is MAP SENSOR, did your CEL come back on with the new MAP So, I would start from scratch and reset your APPS, with a clean MAP. see if it acts up.
There could be a number of things that could do this,
Here is kinda a run down of what to check or try different things
Have you checked your IAT Sensor>? it will act like a MAP does.
Clean your fuel filter>?
Check you lift pump.> Your fuel pressure, i didn't see a sig, do you have a fuel pressure gauge?
Are you chipped?( with a boost fooler) or do you have a wire tap to your vp44?
sorry so many questions, but it will help in the long run.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:21 PM

No the codes wents away with the new map sensor. I found a stripped bolt on the battery terminal so I fixed that (but still need to cut one of the bolts and replace) and I reset the APPS today and have had no problems yet! I hope I fixed it cuz so far so good :-) and I have no chips and I just replaced the lift pump cuz I replaced the injectors with 75hp. But during that process the fuel gauge stopped working but the fuel filter is clean as well. What is a IAT sensor? And thanks a bunch for the help

Old 03-08-2016, 09:33 PM
Diesel Fan

Ya, any time. and Your IAT Sensor is Intake Air Temp. Its control's part of you fueling with your ecm, All in all in acts like a MAP Sensor. Its a pain to deal with all the sensors.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:51 AM
Diesel Fan

Where is the IAT sensor located on the engine. I'm having a similar issue. I'm always getting voltage too high or too low codes on the map sensor. I replaced it and it seemed to run fine for a couple days but went back to acting up. Just feels like something is holding the truck back at times. I have 20 psi on fuel pressure and my Fass 150 is maybe 2 months old. My only other thing is I swapped my auto for a 6spd a few years ago. I haven't had any trouble with the ecm picking on any sensors making them malfunction until now, if that's even the case I'm just throwing that out there. As far as injectors go I'm running 100 horse sticks but they have been in since 2012. I have another map sensor I'm going to put in and reset the apps. If that doesn't work should I start looking into injector issue?

Old 04-11-2016, 07:42 AM
Diesel Fan

[QUOTE=CaseyV93;1111802]Where is the IAT sensor located on the engine. I'm having a similar issue. I'm always getting voltage too high or too low codes on the map sensor. I replaced it and it seemed to run fine for a couple days but went back to acting up. Just feels like something is holding the truck back at times. I have 20 psi on fuel pressure and my Fass 150 is maybe 2 months old. My only other thing is I swapped my auto for a 6spd a few years ago. I haven't had any trouble with the ecm picking on any sensors making them malfunction until now, if that's even the case I'm just throwing that out there. As far as injectors go I'm running 100 horse sticks but they have been in since 2012. I have another map sensor I'm going to put in and reset the apps. If that doesn't work should I start looking into injector issue?[/

I tried uploading a pic to show ya,best one i could find. its right under neath your fuel filter, i think if i remember right its almost right above the MAP sensor.
When you say it might be injectors, does your TACH RPM MOVE? i couldn't see it being the sticks, maybe the VP44 if anything, but is your just replaced the lift i would say your good. (unless it was to late for the VP44)
i dont think that your tranny would make it surger, but could be wrong, not really a tranny guy.
I would try replacing your MAP sensor, and resetting your APPS first.
Clean your IAT > fuel filter
Are you Chipped, what are your running?
you could always get a live DATA OBDII Scanner and go from there also. if your ECM is not playing nice, that should be able to tell you.

Attached Thumbnails Help!-2012-05-30_001552_iat.gif  
Old 04-11-2016, 10:32 AM
Diesel Fan

Thanks I'll see what I can do when I get off work. As far as the VP44 I have a hot pump that's probably a month older then my fass. If you look back at some other posts I have you'll find out I had alot of fun this year with the truck....not hahaha. But anyway I am running my smarty but only on 6 (mild) also its an even setting with no added timing.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:35 AM
Diesel Fan

Just something to try, i remember being in one of your threads. you lift pump shorted out. that's when you bought your hotrod vp44.
something else to Try, set everything back to stock.( no smarty)
Your hot Rod Pump and your ECM might not be playing nice together, see if that makes a difference,

Old 04-12-2016, 04:27 PM
Diesel Fan

Ok I'll give it a try and I'll let you know thanks