24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

HELP! Dead VP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 01:35 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Default HELP! Dead VP?

Well guys I spoke up about the new VP and mine bit me in the ****.

Going up to help Aaron do his fuel line, pusher pump upgrade tonight and the truck just died. No warning at all.

After a couple of phone calls to the VERY helpful Hoss, Aaron showed up with his Smarty and pulled codes:

P1688 Fuel injection pump controller failure

P0254 ?

P1693 companion code

SO I am thinking it is VP time, I want to get the truck back on the road but if I have to replace the Vp I am thinking about just going with the HRVP and having the stepping stone for more power as I can afford.

So I need input and ideas, HRVP, Reliability? Good idea? Bad idea? Should a just pick up a used one to get me going? Or just find a new replacement?

I am at wits end already and it just happened tonight.

Any input is good input, thanks in advance.

And a VERY big thank you to HOSS.

O and a HUGE thanks to Aaron for everything, sorry you got soaked and I owe you!

Old 04-14-2007, 01:43 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

I have never heard of any problems associated with the HRVP's, BUT, I have yet to have anybody show me on a Dyno where they have made any improvement over the standard VP. For as much extra cash as they are I would think even one company would test a standard pump, in good working order on the dyno and then take the hour to change it out to a HRVP and test it again. Not saying they don't perform as advertised, just a thought.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:43 AM
Banned
Received 3,297 Likes on 1,640 Posts

What ever you do get Industrial Injections VP

Old 04-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was thinkin about goin the same route. mine is on its last leg also,

Old 04-16-2007, 02:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a schied hot rod pump, and yes, you can tell a big power difference....and i have had no reliability issues thus far knock on wood, but there is a guy on www.kydtr.com that did a comparison, and it is a 102 hp increase on the dyno......

Old 04-16-2007, 09:36 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not knocking that test but it was on scheids dyno with scheids pump. I personally dont think the hot rod pumps are more reliable and dont think you can get more out of them.

They say the SO pumps are better then the HO pumps so that might be somethin to look into.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:43 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 132 Likes on 111 Posts

Here is the missing code info:

P0254 Fuel Inj Pump Fuel Valve Current Too Hi

Doesnt make anything sound any better though, sorry to hear!

Old 04-18-2007, 10:00 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 98 Posts

I'm wondering if it is that in fact? The reason being is that normally you see a p216 (injection pump failure). When a system registers too much current like you are showing it could be as simple as a bad ground, dead batteries or a memory issue.

Before you start spending lots of money disconnect the batteries and wait a couple hours to flush out any capacity. Hook them back up and test the batteries. Test the voltage drop across the lift pump and then check the VP.

I had all sorts of codes on my pop up when the batteries died on me.

Anyway give that a shot.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:59 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyatt Earp
I'm wondering if it is that in fact? The reason being is that normally you see a p216 (injection pump failure). When a system registers too much current like you are showing it could be as simple as a bad ground, dead batteries or a memory issue.

Before you start spending lots of money disconnect the batteries and wait a couple hours to flush out any capacity. Hook them back up and test the batteries. Test the voltage drop across the lift pump and then check the VP.

I had all sorts of codes on my pop up when the batteries died on me.

Anyway give that a shot.
Good point.....BUT he also has this:

P1688 Fuel injection pump controller failure

Usually (but not always) means the Vp-44 is toast...

Old 04-18-2007, 02:13 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 98 Posts

But Dr. Evil, I've seen that code with dropped cells on batteries. Batteries are WAY cheaper than a VP44.:pc:

Quick Reply: HELP! Dead VP?