24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Cutting off and rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 07:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting off and rough idle

Alright guys I've got a 99 3500 I just picked up for 900 dollars, has 230000 on it and when I got it it ran horrible for 5 seconds then it would shut off. So I threw a pump at it, well sadly after I put my new pump on. Its running the same, so before I dig deep I wanted to know if anyone's had these issues? I'm thinking electrical but haven't jumped ***** deep in it yet. Truck runs rough for about 5-10 seconds and then cuts out, brand new lift pump and injection pump

Old 02-27-2016, 06:22 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

Have you tried pulling codes? Did you throw a lift pump or injection pump at it?

Pull codes with a scanner and don't do the key trick.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:39 AM

I'm not gonna lie I threw an injection pump at it , had a "friend" look at it who swore he was the cummins guru and he hooked his bullshit little scan tool to it. So I kinda went off what he said but I Ade that mistake so I gotta live with it . But I will pull codes and see if I can't get fuel pressure reading and all. What key trick?

Old 02-29-2016, 12:32 PM

I had a slow rough start on my 99 then some cut out. It waa pretty cold . But i replaced intake temp,map , crank pos, oil pressure and coolant temp sensors. Cleand up all the hoaky *** fuel lines a kod hacked in removed and cleaned greased the ecu connector . While it was all out i cleaned all the otherplugs as well.
I noticed lots of green corrosion in the CPK plug. (It was missing its gromet) So i blasted it with wd brake clean and a tiny brush etc.
I sealed all the back sides of the connectors with liquid electric tape.
Put it all back together ran great .
No new pump.
Codes were
Intake heater mal.
Relay mal.
CPK sens signal.
Oil pres signal
Remember theses trucks are umteen years old now with 200 plus miles . Yes the hard parts last forever.
But the non mechanical nature of the vp44 controls are relative to aging sensors . Mileage and time and exposure puts those lil enigine monitoring/control devices out of range to. And the connectors have to deal with weather and vibrations .
Check your eceltrics vefore you upgrade anything. Happy building

Old 02-29-2016, 12:42 PM

That was the next step, I was hoping to get lucky but it didn't happen. When I have time I'm gonna run the codes and see what I've got with a scan tool that's worth a damn, but I've been reading about the crank and cam sensors and a few others that you mentioned and I'm leaning more towards electrical now. Once I run codes and tinker with it more I'll give an up date. Hopefully its simple I'd love to have not a lot of money in this truck

Old 03-01-2016, 07:58 AM

Sorry about the typos,
Yeah start with the basics , there much more important than youll realize with ECUs .
Also check the fuel filter, youd be suprised, i changed my filter when i was cleaning up and running new fuel lines. Mine was black and nasty, if your truck sat it could be clogged with algea.
Part of the reason i looked deeper into the controls/sensors . Was i washed the truck and it would stumble if it would start at all.
If your going to spend a day on it . You can stop by AZ and have them pull your codes.
Pull off your fuel filter housing,starter, and intake pipe. Itll make working on it all easier.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:05 AM

Well right now the truck won't move, it starts and sounds like it's running on 2 cylinders then cuts off after 10 seconds, I've been told to continue to bleed the new pump because the truck did sit awhile. But while it is running for that 10 seconds I have no throttle response either. When I put the pump on I bought a new apps sensor and so nothing

Old 03-01-2016, 08:07 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

Have you reset the apps? Bleeding shouldn't take longer than 10-20 minutes at worst. If it hasn't bleed by then you possibly have a bigger issue.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:27 AM

Sounds like mine after it got wet .
Except no throttle response .
In my research i found a few threads relative to the TPS . With a no start.
The tps is built into the housing above the pump .
Assume you need to check every connector.
You may have jostled the connector loose while instaling the pump?
Whats the APP sensor?

Old 03-01-2016, 10:00 AM

I didn't know you could reset the apps I will look into that and I only
bled for about 5 minutes because it started raining on me.

The apps is the accelerator pedal position sensor, same as throttle position sensor I guess just what ever you prefer