24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Unknown issue 99 Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 04:37 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Unknown issue 99 Cummins

So my 99 started a vibration at idle truck runs great down the road stillnhas power if I go wot it feels like it has a vibration. I don't hear any unusual sounds truck shifts fine, also when the torque converter locks out and I go wot the truck shutters I'm at a loss as to what can cause the rough idle any help would be great. Truck has 150hp injectors intake edge juice w/attitude and tranny was rebuilt.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:30 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ohiocummins99
So my 99 started a vibration at idle truck runs great down the road stillnhas power if I go wot it feels like it has a vibration. I don't hear any unusual sounds truck shifts fine, also when the torque converter locks out and I go wot the truck shutters I'm at a loss as to what can cause the rough idle any help would be great. Truck has 150hp injectors intake edge juice w/attitude and tranny was rebuilt.
wot??? Are you running the stock lift pump? What is your edge set at?

Old 01-19-2016, 07:35 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by CaseyV93
wot??? Are you running the stock lift pump? What is your edge set at?
I am running stock lift pump and I don't turn the edge any higher than level 3 never really had any problems until it got cold up hearits been single digits all day and night and I haven't been able to plug it in at work but the truck sounds fine seems to run just fine but the idle just seems to have a bit of a shake I'm stumped

Old 01-19-2016, 09:32 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

Maybe something loosing up in the trans? converter bolts?trans mount bolts? Drive shaft yoke? Ujoint?
Not really a engine miss right?

Old 01-19-2016, 09:36 PM
Diesel Fan

I'm going to check all that Stuff tomorrow night I thing it might have something to do with my tranny because the shutter I described is the torque converter after it locks up and I get around 30-32 psi its feels like im slipping a clutch in a standard if you know what I mean.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:04 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

Hope you find something easy, off topic the old owner of this website is from Zanesville OH I think. I miss those days it was a fun web site back then.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:38 PM
Diesel Fan

Maybe gelled fuel. Single digits night and day and didn't have the problem until it got so cold. I'd at least run some 911 through it I mean cheaper than tranny parts just to see if that makes a difference

Old 01-20-2016, 06:54 PM
Diesel Fan

Maybe gelled fuel. Single digits night and day and didn't have the problem until it got so cold. I'd at least run some 911 through it I mean cheaper than tranny parts just to see if that makes a difference
I have already done that for the last two tanks but thank you for your advice. I thought it was a fuel problem originally but am now convinced that it is in fact a tranny problem so I looked around and found a truck with a 5 speed and a 12 valve with only 80k so I'm just gonna do a swap and call it good. And the only reason I don't think fuel is the problem is because the truck doesn't run funny or idle funny. And I also changed tranny fluid and filter no change nothing looked out of the ordinary I wish I knew more about them but I'm thinking the torque converter is probably the problem.

Last edited by Ohiocummins99; 01-20-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:04 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Ohiocummins99
I have already done that for the last two tanks but thank you for your advice. I thought it was a fuel problem originally but am now convinced that it is in fact a tranny problem so I looked around and found a truck with a 5 speed and a 12 valve with only 80k so I'm just gonna do a swap and call it good. And the only reason I don't think fuel is the problem is because the truck doesn't run funny or idle funny. And I also changed tranny fluid and filter no change nothing looked out of the ordinary I wish I knew more about them but I'm thinking the torque converter is probably the problem.
Well I think your going to be way better off and way more satisfied with a 5spd just keep an on on that 5th gear nut. My truck was originally an automatic and I went through 2 of em before I bit the bullet and did the swap and I went with an NV5600 and dual disc. What do you plan on doing with the engine out of the truck

Old 01-20-2016, 10:30 PM
Diesel Fan

Well I think your going to be way better off and way more satisfied with a 5spd just keep an on on that 5th gear nut. My truck was originally an automatic and I went through 2 of em before I bit the bullet and did the swap and I went with an NV5600 and dual disc. What do you plan on doing with the engine out of the truck
Not sure yet I mean with only 80k I might hold on to it idk maybe sell it for the right price I'm going to sell the rest of the truck as parts its rust free!

The following users liked this post:
fuze24v (01-23-2016)