24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Unknown issue 99 Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 12:53 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

The shutter is the torque converter. The 47re transmission we have in our trucks is actually a very good trans as long as youre changing the fluid and filter regularly (I do mine every 40k) and adjust the shift bands. The torque converter is the weak spot. A stock converter can barely handle a stock engine. Do you know what converter was used when it was rebuilt and did they add clutches or just do a stock rebuild? Now for the vibration at idle, is it a new vibration to the truck or is the truck new to you and your not sure if its normal because the cummins does shake these trucks. Do you feel it more through the steering wheel or your feet? Is it worse in gear vs in park?

Old 01-23-2016, 07:25 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Bryce;1106998]The shutter is the torque converter. The 47re transmission we have in our trucks is actually a very good trans as long as youre changing the fluid and filter regularly (I do mine every 40k) and adjust the shift bands. The torque converter is the weak spot. A stock converter can barely handle a stock engine. Do you know what converter was used when it was rebuilt and did they add clutches or just do a stock rebuild? Now for the vibration at idle, is it a new vibration to the truck or is the truck new to you and your not sure if its normal because the cummins does shake these trucks. Do you feel it more through the steering wheel or your feet? Is it worse in gear vs in park?[/QUOTis.
I have had my Dodge for a little over a year when they did the rebuild they put a billet converter in and I think stock clutches. I know the converter is billet because it says it on the parts sheet I got with the rebuild but we all know how that goes he says he put billet in and he charged me for it but who knows if it really is. I started having the problem and changed the fluid and filter with no change. My tranny fluid was only about 7 months old tho (very little miles) the vibration is the whole truck. I've had about 6 people who are around my truck normally say it sounds normal until they get inside and say man this thing is shaking? (3 of them have a 24 valve which all sound the same as mine - the vibration). And it just started yesterday on my way to work I was trying to get around a semi and got on the go pedal kinda hard and the truck reved like normal but when the rpms got higher the vibration became very bad and I was just not making any progress getting around this guy. So I don't believe I'm putting my power to the ground.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:14 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

It could be billet, but there are several different grades of converters. With the mods you listed I would say you're in the neighborhood of making 400hp. So if a converter designed for 350hp was used then you would get converter shudder. It's also possible that you have a good coverter that has failed so you might want to see if it's warranted. Did the shudder start at the same time as the idle vibration?

Old 01-23-2016, 09:17 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Bryce
It could be billet, but there are several different grades of converters. With the mods you listed I would say you're in the neighborhood of making 400hp. So if a converter designed for 350hp was used then you would get converter shudder. It's also possible that you have a good coverter that has failed so you might want to see if it's warranted. Did the shudder start at the same time as the idle vibration?
I noticed the shutter a couple times prior to the vibration but it was only when I really got on the truck. So I just turned the edge down and stayed out of the throttle as much as I could.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:17 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ohiocummins99
I'll let you know man I go Sunday to pick it up man
Ok thanks again

Old 01-25-2016, 05:51 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by CaseyV93
Ok thanks again
Hey man I got the truck yesterday it is a 98 it was a gas truck at one time but someone swapped everything to 3/4 ton it has 6" suspension lift and 3" body lift their is just a tad bit of bubbling on the bottom of the back doors but cab and bed are near perfect. Except their is a stack in the bed! I have pics I can send through txt if you want. I'm asking 2500 for the body frame and rearends it has a set of 16.5's steel wheels front tires are good back are bald.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:17 PM
Diesel Fan

Ok I'll let him know the price and get right back with you if he wants it. Thanks

Old 01-26-2016, 10:18 PM
Diesel Fan

But if he doesn't want it I'd be interested in the bed and if it's an extended cab the doors

Old 01-27-2016, 05:21 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by CaseyV93
But if he doesn't want it I'd be interested in the bed and if it's an extended cab the doors
It's is getting parted out bed is 1000 perfect except hole for stack tailgate is 100 doors are 750 for a set of 4. It's an extended cab short bed