24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

smarty programmer questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 12:02 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smarty programmer questions

Ok I know that when you purchase the programmer you buy one for a auto or a manual transmission. Well my truck used to be an automatic but I swapped in an NV5600.....for many reasons but don't get me started on those painful memories . Anyway I was told by a performance shop that it shouldn't make a difference in the early 98 24valve trucks and even keeping the same ecm would be fine. So that's what I did. All an all my truck runs great but I want it to run the best I can get it. So sometimes when I'm shifting through gears and I try to wind out a gear it sometimes feels like it stops fueling. Would that be due to my ecm trying to talk to an automatic telling it to shift and causing it to stop fueling. Or am I just going crazy

Old 01-19-2016, 11:26 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

You should be able to talk to the guys at smarty and have them send you a manual tune so that the computer thinks everything is normal.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:17 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I'm still waiting for a reply from them on that but I did find out a few things I didn't know about the smarty. I contacted a tech from firepunk and he explained to about the update for the Manual transmission like you said. But he also said according to their dyno results on vp trucks, the programmer outs out the same amount of horsepower no matter what setting you have it on. The only difference is the rpm range that the truck will get that peak performance. Basically the lower the catcher setting then the truck will reach peak performance in the lower rpm range. Higher the setting then higher the rpm range. Which makes sense because if you set it on 9 and go drag race you want that high rpm range. If you set it on say 5 or 6 for towing you would want the mid rpm range. And for economy the lower rpm range. Also the tech from Firepunk said that my hotrod vp44 doesn't come with added timing. It comes with the capability to withstand more added timing then usual. So I'll be posting that info on my other thread for hotrod pumps. But after talking to the tech from firepunk he also mentioned a few things about the advance options in the smarty and how to dial the truck in best suited for the use and I gotta say I've got mine running right where I want it