24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

99 cummins replaced locked up ATS TC still stalking in drive gears

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 01:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 cummins replaced locked up ATS TC still stalking in drive gears

Hopeing I can find some help on here. I've searches high and low on a bunch of forums and can't find a thread about my problem.

The background on the original situation was I was driving down city streets and coming to a stop, just before coming to a complete stop my truck started to stumble upon itself and stalls on me. It started right back up, I had reverse gear but it just stalled everytime I put it in drive it stalled. So figured TC lockup. Took it a shop where he confirmed my TC was locked up. At this time I was receiving a no bus message p1694 code from an OBDII code reader, low end but it's what I had at the time before taking it to the shop. The owner of the private shop hooked up his computer and took it for a test drive once he got it to engage and not stall, he said each shift the TC was locking up. So pulled tranny and TC. Found out how bad ATS design is and their poor workmanship so I got a much better built from D&P torque convertors in sacramento ca. Installed new TC and no codes originally came on the first couple times I started and tried putting it in gear but still it stalls. After a couple times the p1694 code came back up.
I've never thought anything about it but my WTS light takes 10-15 seconds to come on. Don't know if this could be related somehow but seeing as it has done that for the 5 yrs I've had it I don't think it is. Anyhow I checked grounds and found the ground running above alternator was rubbed down to bare wire and actually started melting wire and made a dent in top of alternator. Spliced the bad section out and re routed along the radiator as I've heard it could cause interference as it stated in many threads I found. Still no difference. I chased wires two night in a row and couldn't find anything else. I found a thread stating how to test ohms reading for governor pressure solenoid at pcm on passenger firewall at middle connector pin 21 and at the fuse box at transmission relay. Before I had repaired that ground wire above alternator this reading showed 32 ohms after repairing and re routing that ground it now spikes to 100-300 and immediately back down and drops no lower than 38-40ohms. This test was performed with ignition on engine off. I will be sending it back to the shop but can't get a truck and trailer till the weekend or next week. Figured if it could be the gov solenoid I could do that I had just replaced that whole gov pressure solenoid and that wiring harness just a year ago. Could it have gone bad or I've read they can get a bad ground fault in the assembly
Any help much appreciated.