24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

oil in cooliant but no cooliant in oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 06:59 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil in cooliant but no cooliant in oil?

Ok so far this has me stumped.I went to a Chrysler dealership to pick up a bike I was building so while backing up stoping moving repeat in this small area my rig overheated.Nasty brown cooliant the p.o. must have let it sit for a long time.I paid my x helper to flush it & I thought he did I was wrong.
******* Well topd it off with water drove around 80 miles pulled into mc Donalds while in drive through it overheated.I figured from running on low cooliant.Topd off &figured Id do all new filters &fluid next weekend.Well a few days ago I did a powerbrake for about 30 secs & she got hot.Then a day or 2 later while driving it felt like it was periodically surging or stumbling.I checked the inline fuel filter that runs off of the faes hpfp I don't think it had ever been changed. It had little rocks in it& everything else.Ran better afterwards. Well then tonite I made about a 100 mile run & for the last 25 miles I ran full throttle (had a good reason).Well pulled into store left her running went in bought a sodapop when I came out I noticed it had puked everywhere. Took home let it cool
And* checked the cooliant & I noticed that there was a slight rainbow film on top of my cooliant.
*********** So.I check the oil in every way no milkshake no cooliant in oil.So I didnt have access to a hose but I pulled bottom hose&poured about 20 gallons through.Now I know that's not really cleaning it out but till tomorrow or tues is has to do.Now when I pulled the bottom hose I caught this junk in the picture it is I belive oil as it rose to the top & I skimmed it off for the pix.
****** I Put it back back together started it up didn't notice any bubbling &if I remember if its a blown head gasket cracked block it should bubble.Well put cap back on let it run for a few mins pulled it off &cooliant shoot out but wasn't really hot let it idle to operating temp took it for a ride under 2 mins heat rose fast.Turned heat on&within halfPl min it was back where it should be.drove 20 miles no overheating pulled the cap off a few times no rainbow film no signs of oil.
******* Here's a few things I found the thermostat housing is putting off some heat, no change in ac@all, if I squeeze the upper rad hose with the cap off cooliant will come out .Im not sure if that means thermostat isnt opening?
Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.This truck did habe oil allover the front of the motor the po kids rolled it down a hill into some trees the whole front end eas tottaled & pushed in till I rebuilt it.Like I said I see no build up now so hoping it was just needing cleaned.
http://s303.photobucket.com/user/CUTTHROATXXX/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150518_001510.jpg.html http://s303.photobucket.com/user/CUTTHROATXXX/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150518_010305.jpg.html http://s303.photobucket.com/user/CUTTHROATXXX/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150518_010210.jpg.html

Old 05-18-2015, 11:10 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

Looks to me like Barrs leak stopper kinda brown pastey. The fastest way to find an internal leak is to pressure test the cooling system. The kits are available from auto parts stores, snapon or maybe even harbor freight. It is a very useful tool to have in the tool box.
The overheating is a big concern the 53 blocks don't like a large change in temp they crack.