24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

brown cooliant..cracked block?

Old 01-08-2015, 04:15 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brown cooliant..cracked block?

I totally just screwd on this other diesel I bought now I have bought this cummins&found out it has a 53 block.So Ive been paranoid & worrying. The truck doesn't overheat but the other day I.noticed what appeared to be diesel dripping off of the oil pan & landing on the ground right below it.
Well tonite I checked my cooliant & it appeard to be brown.When we bought it my buddy checked the fluid out & said how the cooliant needed flushed that was all.Theres no slippery feeling to it no milky look & my oil appears fine just needing a change. I DO NOT BELIVE that the p.o. took good care of it but then again he did @ 1 point pay my buddies shop 1700 for a new rearend.So could this be a sign of a cracked block or just the cooliant needing flushed?
http://s303.photobucket.com/user/CUTTHROATXXX/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150108_021931.jpg.html
Actually right after typing this up & saving it as a draft,I ran out and put a piece of cardboard under the Drive train & I noticed 2 very small drops of what appeared to me this cooliAnt but darker, still was sweet. My Main leak appears to be a fuel leak that is coming down from the bell housing and drops off @ seap Hole so in 30 minutes tWo drops.I would think if it was a cracked block it would Leak a lot more.But if I knew for sure I wouldn't be asking. I looked up where the blacks are prone to crack and it did appear to have its some dry lines of some liquid. But look pretty old and I could not find any wet spots.
I just went through Financial hell I had to pay for my brother father and grandfathers funeraland I have some very bad health issues on my way to the doctor the motor blew up on my car walked home close to 30 miles pulled out my RAM to go toW iT home before I made it off the property the transmission went out,I was going to have to drive mydrag project transmission went out,sold everything off bottle powerstroke, and lasted me a few days then it took a dump. Bought this Cummins and now This,I don't have a penny left to my name so I'm really freaking out anybody with any ideas on if this block is cracked or not,what it near cracked there cause oil to get into the coolant?

Old 01-08-2015, 04:38 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

Hate to hear about your family. I would get it pressure checked. Shouldn't cost to much. Atleast then you will be able to determine where the leak is coming from.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:15 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah I'm going to do that in a few hours, I was supposed to be meeting a guy to get a transfer case from. And I had an appointment for new windshield, I already cancelled the other day. So looks like glass guys going to be ticked off. I'm wondering if maybe it's the oil cooler because the truck had rolled into some trees crack in the windshield ruining two fenders and pushed the bumper into the radiator. Have replaced both fenders and hood but have not noticed any leaks from the radiator or around there.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:13 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Even if it is cracked can easily be permanently fixed using lock n stitch cheap n take hr no biggy

Old 03-19-2015, 09:26 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If stains/drips are on passenger side of block starting at horizontal ridge below freeze plugs, then block is just starting to crack. Do not try to weld, it won't work! Bummer dude.